10 Under the Ben 2018
So what should riders expect, firstly No Fuss, thats just what we do! From the course you will find some fine climbs, some sweet singletrack, great gripping descents and a whole lot of fun. It's up to you, you can go as hard, or easy, as you like. The trail network at Nevis Range has been developed around the cross country world cup course which was built in 2007, since then there have been some great additions to the network. We are in no doubt that the course team will deliver another cracker of a course for 2018.
Sticking to the classic mountain bike endurance marathon format of a 10-mile lap and a 10-hour time limit, 10 Under the Ben takes place on the trails beneath Ben Nevis. 10 Under the Ben has stood the test of time and continues to attract an average of 700 riders. Racing in categories which include solo, pair or a quad.
ENTRIES ARE OPEN FOR 2018
The aim is to complete as many laps as you can in the 10 hour time limit. Teams ride in relay – there’s only one team member on the course at any one time. The event is timed using Sportident Timing system, each team or solo will be issued with a timing card at registration, The card is worn by the team member on course. When a rider crosses the lap finish line their time is recorded, and they then pass the card onto the next team member and so on.
Riders can do as many laps (or as few) as they want in the time. After riders have passed through the timing area their lap time is recorded, they then pass the card onto team mates or continue if riding solo.
There will be plenty going on around the course and event village, the course itself will have marshalls at all strategic points, Muddy Medics will be on site and on the course if assistance is needed at any point.
The race starts at 0930 on Saturday 28th of April 2018. You must register beforehand (or the evening before) to collect your race number, timing chip and course information. Full details will be sent to entrants with participant notes in the lead up to the race.
Solo Entry £45.00
Pair Entry £84.00
Quad Entry £150.00
We often get asked What do I get for my entry fee?
Apart from all the boring stuff like VAT paid, relevant insurance, business administartion, payroll etc. You know the stuff that it takes to run a business in 2018.
You will get 10 hours of top riding with like minded people doing something that we all love on some of the best trails that Scotland has to offer, trails that will hold out no matter what the weather.
Your race times will be recorded by Sportident Electronic timing and full results throughout the race and results online. Use of the facilities at Nevisrange.
Event village with great food and drink.
The best on course medics available.
On site and on course tech support.
Entertainment, "Music and Laughter with a hey hey we're the boys to entertain you" those of you of an age may want to sing that wee line. We would hope that 2018 will see the return of dancing lady, DJ Skimbo and other trackside entertainment.
There will be parking gestapo working the main sites that we are using for parking, please listen to them, they are going to get you all in! Please note there is ample parking for all participants, there is not ample space for every participant to park and have an easy up, bbq, toilet tent etc etc. We will do our best to accommodate all needs where possible. Parking for Caravanns and Larger motorhomes will be at Nevisrange over spill car park. Please keep an eye on the website for updates around the start of April.
The event schedule is not quite complete, although here is a rough breakdown of how the day will work. We will keep you posted as the day builds.
FRIDAY 27TH APRIL
1800 - 2100 10 Under the Ben Registration at the Pinmartin Cafe at Nevis Range
SATURDAY 28th April – 10 UNDER THE BEN
0600 - 0830 Registration 10 Under the Ben
0845 Mandatory Team Captains meeting 10 Under the Ben
0930 Ten Under The Ben Race Start
All Day – Entertainment from TBA
1930 Last lap commence 10 Under the Ben
2030 Timing Closed
2100 Medal Ceremony 10 Under
2017 COURSE MAPS AVAILABLE here
2018 Course Map available April
This is a list of entries for this event. If you think you should be here and you are not then let us know.
Solo1) Aboyne Newmads - Isabel Davies
2) The Unusual Suspects - Flying Squirrel
3) Rock and Road - Katherine Needham
4) Fine Fettle - Helen Willis
5) Restless Natives - Paula Wilkie
6) IJS Racing - julie fewster
7) Cycle Highlands - Ellie Flather
8) Celia T - Celia Tennant
9) Team Flare/ TrailSkills - Liz Peacock
10) Fyrish Bikes - Jane Pottie
11) Gingerbread - Eva Kupska
12) Gmbc - Julie Taylor-Flood
13) Elaine Boyle - Elaine Boyle
14) Aboyne Nomads - Keziah Higgins
15) The Pye Men - Duncan Pye
16) Cyclehighlands Ballater - Scott Sutherland-Thomson
17) Earthworm Jim - James Higgins
18) KHP - Lewy Parkinson
19) KHP - calum macarthur
20) Swinnerton Cycles Forest Centre - Peter Nadin
21) KHP - Chris Hassall
22) KHP - Simon - Simon Krievs
23) KHP - Iain Bannister
24) Solus - Matt Cowan
25) KHP - Donald Johnston
26) Team Dysart - ian Dysart
27) Team Le Gimp - Andrew Blaikie
28) The Feel Gype - Lewis Campbell
29) Mark Roberts - Mark Roberts
30) Aboyne Newmads - Miles Newman
31) M.E.T.Athlete - James Mccallum
32) Montrose Triathlon Club - Paul Kefford
33) Iain - Iain Campbell
34) Age is no Barrier - Ian Prescott
35) Ciaran McMahon - Ciaran McMahon
36) Rocan - Alan Nicholson
37) KHP - Mike Lynch
38) coutts74 - andrew coutts
39) bruce80 - jon bruce
40) bruce73 - euan bruce
41) iCycles - Mike Hancock
42) Lutterworth cycles RT - Tim Plimmer
43) Necrohippoflagellation - Peter Cunningham
44) Spin Doctor - Kevin Anderson
45) Angry Dad - David Meldrum
46) LIFE FIT HUB - MUCKY RIDERZ Supa 60 - David Lawtie
47) Ravens Outdoor - Allan Doyle
48) MT ZOOM.com / RDFCC - Anthony White
49) The Unusual Suspects - Kee Wee
50) The Unusual Suspects - Mutts Nutts
51) Thirsk Massive - Nick Wilkin
52) calum macleod - Calum macleod
53) On me tod - Nick Stapleton
54) Ben 10 - Ewen McNeice
55) Team ride it - Craig Mclean
56) IJS Racing - Michael Hutton
57) Stirling Bike Club - Dieter Visser
58) The fastest man in Ireland - Thomas Obrien
59) GoBro - Gordon Pettigrew
60) GoBro - David Pettigrew
61) SRA Albannach - Niall Shannon
62) David Polley - David Polley
63) Gentle Elk - Mike Mason
64) Team Snail - David Whittaker
65) Craig little - Craig Little
66) Too many Whisky Chasers - Martin Walker
67) Carlsson - James Carlsson
68) Big in Oil - Russell Gourley
69) Brogie - Brogan Bursill
70) Beyond Mountain Bikes - Julian Paphitis
71) Charlie Maltin - Charlie Maltin
72) KTM UK FACTORY MTB TEAM - Lee Monks
73) Dougal Brown - Dougal Brown
74) USE-Exposure - Travers Bikes - E3Coach - Steve Day
75) Nathan Andrew - Nathan Andrew
76) No Ketchup. Just Sauce. Raw Sauce. - Struan Robertson
77) The Flying Pig - Alex Black
78) The Saddle Shniffers - Joe Pews
79) IJS Racing - John Chambers
80) Drumburgh Hero - Steven Simpson
81) Chris Gower - Chris Gower
82) Phil Bryan - Phil Bryan
83) Team Ginge - Simon Bruce
84) Fyrish Bikes - Simon Stewart
85) Cyclewise - Adam Nolan
86) Square Badger Racing - Campbell Davidson
87) Peaking like a Chinese Duck - Steven Wallace
88) Twenty7.FIVE - Andrew Flett
89) PlantPower - Del Kirkwood
90) Paisley velo - Mark Hanlon
91) Paisley Velo - Dimitar Nechev
92) Still game - Still game David Marshall
93) We can rebuild him - Steven Jephcott
94) i-Cycles - Keith Forsyth
95) Gmbc - Bosco Flood
96) Mainer - Iain Main
97) JamieJ - James Jordan
98) Lancashire Hotpot - Jimmy Ryan
99) Dalbeattie Red 5 - Jonathan Waller
100) Radish - colin shorthouse
101) Hi Line - Stephen Jenkins
102) Herbies Bikes - Charles Gillanders
103) Rock and Road - Kenny Young
104) John Green - John Green
105) Team JMC (Gobby) - David Gobby
106) Scott Menzies - Scott Menzies
107) Stephen Crawford - Stephen Crawford
108) Jasser - Jason Murphy
109) Ross Pearson - Ross Pearson
110) Cleecycles/torus bikes - Gareth Hayes
111) AE bike shop Tuesday Night Old boys - Callum Mckay
112) Swansacre Vet - Peter Hookham
113) Cyclo Pro Pain - Ben Ulyatt
114) Ewan - Ewan Findlay
115) WIGGO - Phil Wiggins
116) Barhill Boy - Christopher Mclellan
117) just keep pedalling pedalling - stuart kennedy
118) just keep pedalling pedalling - ruth kennedy
Pair119) Murphard - Emily Murphy
120) Murphard - Ny Leonard
121) Cutting Some Shapes - Linda Powell
122) Cutting Some Shapes - Rona Loweth
123) Pink Tigers - Jo Michie
124) Pink Tigers - Lyndy Hutchison
125) Bike buddies - David Stevens
126) Bike buddies - Jonathan Cleary
127) Deuchney Demons - Matthew McCullagh
128) Deuchney Demons - Crispin Oakley
129) Kings of Kinnoull - James Mackie
130) Kings of Kinnoull - Rory Mcleod
131) The Cyclepaths - Gordon Waddell
132) The Cyclepaths - David Dunn
133) ¡¡BTR!! - Sean Dugan
134) ¡¡BTR!! - Daniel Clarke
135) Purple Helmet Cycles - Andy Bell
136) Purple Helmet Cycles - Graeme Duncan
137) GMBC, The Old Guys.. - Thomas Wylie
138) GMBC, The Old Guys.. - Ian Godber
139) Dolphin Chuckers - Anthony Mann
140) Dolphin Chuckers - Euan Wiseman
141) Dicks out for Harambe - Tom Ballard
142) Dicks out for Harambe - Andrew Ballard
143) Enduro Refugees! - Duncan Pye
144) Enduro Refugees! - Thomas McIvor
145) Mitchell - McAuley - Brendan McAuley
146) Mitchell - McAuley - Stewart Mitchell
147) Llambas with Hats - Cameron Martin
148) Llambas with Hats - Lewis Broadhurst
149) Bad Dads - Tim Austin
150) Bad Dads - Marky Cardwell
151) Team Misery - Gordon Stuart
152) Team Misery - William Hoynes
153) Immortal 2 Pies - Dougie Campbell
154) Immortal 2 Pies - Peter Boyd
155) Flat oot fifers - Findlay Adams
156) Flat oot fifers - Mike Bruce
157) Supersonic Saltires - Lee Murray
158) Supersonic Saltires - Callum Paterson
159) Plan Dee - Andy Bain
160) Plan Dee - David Hirst
161) Buzz & Woody - Alasdair Collier
162) Buzz & Woody - James Gardiner
163) The Brothers Grimm - Alex Spencer
164) The Brothers Grimm - Dan Spencer
165) Death Trap Cycles - Thomas Gill
166) Death Trap Cycles - Andrew Ellis
167) Our Couch Pulls Out But We Dont - Iain Morrison
168) Our Couch Pulls Out But We Dont - Steven Kerr
169) Gentle Elk RT - Finn Mason
170) Gentle Elk RT - Miller Crombie
171) Two Old Dogs - Same Old Tricks - Nick Murray
172) Two Old Dogs - Same Old Tricks - Dr Ozone
173) Pair of Jakes - Mark Georgeson
174) Pair of Jakes - Patrick Hutchison
175) The Royston Vasey Gentleman's Cycling Club - james morrell
176) The Royston Vasey Gentleman's Cycling Club - Alex Greenwood
177) Drookit fecht - Graeme McAllister
178) Drookit fecht - Jock McAllister
179) Never again - Stephen Baillie
180) Never again - Graham Stewart
181) herbies hillbillys - raymond mcphie
182) herbies hillbillys - richard sanderson
183) Menstrie Cycles! - Pete Moulding
184) Menstrie Cycles! - Andrew Oxley
185) Warwick Bike Old Boys - Richard Percival
186) Warwick Bike Old Boys - Greg Barton
187) Andorra Hero's - Darren Bewick
188) Andorra Hero's - Jason Byles
189) Andorra Legend's - Mark Hastings
190) Andorra Legend's - Andy MacKay
191) Stirling's Freeriders (SF) - Graham McGhie
192) Stirling's Freeriders (SF) - Bruce Anderson
193) West Lothian Clarion Race Team - Alex Ball
194) West Lothian Clarion Race Team - George Freeman
195) Twa Bog Loupers - Archie Johnstone
196) Twa Bog Loupers - Bill Turner
197) 2 FOR 10 - Peter Martin
198) 2 FOR 10 - Maurice McKeown
199) Wartle Wheelie Bins - Jimbo Smith
200) Wartle Wheelie Bins - Dodge Kitton
201) Scrambled Legs - Lewis Rochford
202) Scrambled Legs - Ian Cattanach
203) Jones Squared - Paul Jones
204) Jones Squared - Ewan Jones
205) Go for it again - James Kellock
206) Go for it again - Robin Orr
207) Mechanical doping fans - EDWARD COSTIN
208) Mechanical doping fans - Martin Pottage
209) Cruachan - Graeme Mclennan
210) Cruachan - Martin George
211) Cruachan II - David Campbell
212) Cruachan II - Cammy Boyd
213) Moreorless Dunn - Dougie More
214) Moreorless Dunn - Graeme Dunn
215) Ben Nevis hill munchers - Jason Davies
216) Ben Nevis hill munchers - Paul Fowler
217) husky 'n' Bear - william stather
218) husky 'n' Bear - Ross hastie
219) Mukyz Ibis one get one free - Andrew Leinster
220) Mukyz Ibis one get one free - Roy Cunningham
221) The kings of Prawn - Paul McSkimming
222) The kings of Prawn - Paul Rodwell
223) Urquhart Warriors - Tom Morrice
224) Urquhart Warriors - Joel Maisey
225) Heading to the hills. - Ian Goode
226) Heading to the hills. - Alan Hill
227) Team Elvis A - David Pugh
228) Team Elvis A - Colin Brock
229) Team Elvis B - Graham Kirk
230) Team Elvis B - John Gowans
231) The good, bad and Mark's seriously ugly - Darren Asquith
232) The good, bad and Mark's seriously ugly - Mark Asquith
233) Mudfuds - Ray Burr
234) Mudfuds - Roddy Reid
235) The M&M’s - Ross Miller
236) The M&M’s - Thomas McLaren
237) Swift Jim - Jimmy Ryan
238) Swift Jim - William Swift
239) Calvin and Dobs - Calvin Price
240) Calvin and Dobs - Derek Dobbins
241) Carnegie Cyclones - Finton Price
242) Carnegie Cyclones - Duncan Crawford
243) Doune Castle AFC - David Eccles
244) Doune Castle AFC - Iain Blackwood
245) Coulthard & MacIntosh - Roger Coulthard
246) Coulthard & MacIntosh - Dave MacIntosh
247) Backyard Bootleggers - rob cameron
248) Backyard Bootleggers - nicholas olivier
249) Team Ram Rod - Alexander Morrison
250) Team Ram Rod - Graeme Dolby
251) Forest Fumblers Society - john williamson
252) Forest Fumblers Society - Phil Slater
253) 8 in 10 - Ross Davie
254) 8 in 10 - Iain Baxter
255) Siddle Racing - Keith Siddle
256) Siddle Racing - Lucy Siddle
257) Breakin' Dad - Paul McMonagle
258) Breakin' Dad - Abbey Johnston
259) ABC - Goddam Pedal Harder - Mike Milne
260) ABC - Goddam Pedal Harder - Jane Luckhurst
Quad261) Moray MBC / ¡¡BTR!! - John McMulkin
262) Moray MBC / ¡¡BTR!! - Alan MacBeth
263) Moray MBC / ¡¡BTR!! - Colin McRae
264) Moray MBC / ¡¡BTR!! - Tim Walters
265) Street Pigeon Racing - Brian Cotter
266) Street Pigeon Racing - Jamie Wallace
267) Street Pigeon Racing - David Buchanan-dunlop
268) Street Pigeon Racing - Robert Birchmore
269) Mr Tumble Factory Race Team - Jamie Mackenzie
270) Mr Tumble Factory Race Team - Matthew Mackenzie
271) Mr Tumble Factory Race Team - Cameron Penman
272) Mr Tumble Factory Race Team - Shaun Holden
273) RoboPot - Tim Pott
274) RoboPot - Stephen Myerscough
275) RoboPot - Stuart Robertson
276) RoboPot - Frazer Roertson
277) Never say Nevis - ken greig
278) Never say Nevis - john scott
279) Never say Nevis - allie scott
280) Never say Nevis - carol greig
281) The Portable Pizza's - Steven Lockhart
282) The Portable Pizza's - Christine Allan
283) The Portable Pizza's - Nina Saunders
284) The Portable Pizza's - Richard Barton
285) Boom Shakalaka - Nicola Thomson-Berwick
286) Boom Shakalaka - Melville Berwick
287) Boom Shakalaka - David Grindle
288) Boom Shakalaka - Huw Davis
Rules and Regulations
It is important that you and your teammates and support crew read these very carefully. Each lap is approximately 10 miles -under 1 hour for the fastest riders, nearly 2 hours for those who are new to the sport or are just that wee bit more careful. The courses will consist of a bit of everything, including wide single track, narrow single track with rocks, roots, mud, fast flowing single track, low gear uphill’s, water crossings, technical ascents and descents, plus fire roads. The event is for solo riders and for teams in a relay format.
1. Mandatory pre-event meeting at 0830 on Saturday for all team captains/team leaders, although all riders and crew are encouraged to attend. Teams must designate a captain/ team leader (this will be understood to be first name entered in team) to handle all official matters including pre event meeting, picking up registration packs, making sure all teammates have correct numbers and have completed any paperwork etc.
2. Each team and solo rider will bear responsibility for their timing. In order for laps to count riders must pass through the transition area and use the chips correctly every time a lap is completed.
3. Waiting riders should always check in with transition officials prior to starting their lap. Please adhere to the NO RIDE RULES in transition areas. Riders should only use solo riders area if they are in that class.
4. If a team member wishes to do two laps in a row it essential that they still ‘dib’ when passing through transition.
5. Each team member and solo rider must complete a minimum of one lap. Teams will be penalised a lap for each lap not completed by each member except in the case of any injury, which must be reported to race official who will make final decision.
6. If a team member cannot complete his or her lap, the team has the option of starting the lap over with a new rider. They will however, lose the distance and time of the uncompleted lap. The replacement rider must check in with timing official prior to starting the lap.
7. For obvious safety reasons there is no reverse riding on the course.
8. Teammates may cannibalise each other’s bikes or swap if necessary. Riders may accept mechanical support on the course by any other registered rider; transition and camp areas is the only area where assistance from support crews is acceptable.
9. Riders may accept food and water from anyone on the course.
10. We strongly suggest that each team and solo rider have a support crew of at least 1 or 2 persons who are not taking part to assist with various jobs such as organsing transitions, cooking and assisting with mechanical problems.
11. Bike wash areas will be available at each event. Toilets and showers will be available throughout the weekend. Please use the toilets provided.
12. If you are planning camping please be aware that there is limited space in the car park at Nevis Range. The ground is almost all hard standing and not easy to get pegs in. Space is allocated at a first come, first serve basis. Camping will also be available at Torlundy Farm, which is around 2 miles cycle on an old forestry access road (tarred).
13. You will need all your own camping supplies. A variety of food (hot and cold meals, soup and snacks) will be available for purchase at the transition area Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Check website for event specific updates.
14. Riders may require lights, which must be at least 4 watts and be secured to bikes or helmet. NO FUSS will have final say when lights should be used.
15. If lighting is required it will be against the rules for riders to ride with their lights out to save batteries. Riders violating this rule will have their current lap nullified.
16. Only riders officially entered in the event or designated as “Official Course Marshals” may ride the designated course.
17. Wearing a buckled helmet is mandatory anytime you are on your bike in the race area (not just when it is your lap).
18. All team captains and solo riders must attend pre-race meeting at 0830 on the Saturday
19. Ignorance of any rule will not be accepted as an excuse.
20. Foul riding will not be tolerated, unsportsmanlike behaviour is totally un-acceptable. This includes the use of profane or abusive language, this rule is taken very seriously by No Fuss and anyone who violates this rule shall be disqualified from this and any future No Fuss events.
21. Shortcutting the course can be grounds for automatic disqualification of the solo rider or the entire team. If a rider makes a mistake and they report to officials before it is discovered, a time adjustment will be applied rather than a DQ.
22. Riders who are riding their bikes have the right of way over those who are pushing their bikes. Where practical, riders pushing should stay on the least rideable portion of the trail when being passed. Riders are encouraged to call pleasantly “passing on the right or left” as appropriate.
23. All protests must be made by a team captain to a No Fuss Official ( Frazer or Spook . Protests can be made throughout the event and up to 15 mins after the final results are posted. It would be appreciated if any protests could be made respectfully to the officials. No Fuss officials say is final in all protests.
24. Safety on the course is our primary concern. If you come across an injured rider or a potentially unsafe situation, you are encouraged to stop and assist. If you stop to give assistance for a health and safety related reason, you should report your number to a passing rider who will turn it in to the transition official so that your team’s next rider may commence their lap. You must then complete your lap, report to the transition official and report the nature of the assistance you provided and an approximate duration of your stop. You will be assigned a lap time in accordance with your or your teams average times, whichever is the faster. NB Time adjustments are made by a No Fuss official and are final. NOTE This rule applies to ONLY health and safety concerns and not mechanical failure.
25. Dropping of Litter on the course will absolutely not be tolerated and may result in DQ. Leave only tyre tracks!
26. The NO FUSS OFFICIALS (FRAZER, SPOOK ) will be given the final decision regarding any occurrence at the event including those not addressed in the rules.