10 Under the Ben 2018
So what should riders expect, firstly No Fuss, thats just what we do! From the course you will find some fine climbs, some sweet singletrack, great gripping descents and a whole lot of fun. It's up to you, you can go as hard, or easy, as you like. The trail network at Nevis Range has been developed around the cross country world cup course which was built in 2007, since then there have been some great additions to the network. We are in no doubt that the course team will deliver another cracker of a course for 2018.
Sticking to the classic mountain bike endurance marathon format of a 10-mile lap and a 10-hour time limit, 10 Under the Ben takes place on the trails beneath Ben Nevis. 10 Under the Ben has stood the test of time and continues to attract an average of 700 riders. Racing in categories which include solo, pair or a quad.
ENTRIES WILL OPEN 6TH NOVEMBER 2017
The aim is to complete as many laps as you can in the 10 hour time limit. Teams ride in relay – there’s only one team member on the course at any one time. The event is timed using Sportident Timing system, each team or solo will be issued with a timing card at registration, The card is worn by the team member on course. When a rider crosses the lap finish line their time is recorded, and they then pass the card onto the next team member and so on.
Riders can do as many laps (or as few) as they want in the time. After riders have passed through the timing area their lap time is recorded, they then pass the card onto team mates or continue if riding solo.
There will be plenty going on around the course and event village, the course itself will have marshalls at all strategic points, Muddy Medics will be on site and on the course if assistance is needed at any point.
The race starts at 0930 on Saturday 28th of April 2018. You must register beforehand (or the evening before) to collect your race number, timing chip and course information. Full details will be sent to entrants with participant notes in the lead up to the race.
Solo Entry £45.00
Pair Entry £84.00
Quad Entry £150.00
We often get asked What do I get for my entry fee?
Apart from all the boring stuff like VAT paid, relevant insurance, business administartion, payroll etc. You know the stuff that it takes to run a business in 2018.
You will get 10 hours of top riding with like minded people doing something that we all love on some of the best trails that Scotland has to offer, trails that will hold out no matter what the weather.
Your race times will be recorded by Sportident Electronic timing and full results throughout the race and results online. Use of the facilities at Nevisrange.
Event village with great food and drink.
The best on course medics available.
On site and on course tech support.
Entertainment, "Music and Laughter with a hey hey we're the boys to entertain you" those of you of an age may want to sing that wee line. We would hope that 2018 will see the return of dancing lady, DJ Skimbo and other trackside entertainment.
There will be parking gestapo working the main sites that we are using for parking, please listen to them, they are going to get you all in! Please note there is ample parking for all participants, there is not ample space for every participant to park and have an easy up, bbq, toilet tent etc etc. We will do our best to accommodate all needs where possible. Parking for Caravanns and Larger motorhomes will be at Nevisrange over spill car park. Please keep an eye on the website for updates around the start of April.
The event schedule is not quite complete, although here is a rough breakdown of how the day will work. We will keep you posted as the day builds.
FRIDAY 27TH APRIL
1800 - 2100 10 Under the Ben Registration at the Pinmartin Cafe at Nevis Range
SATURDAY 28th April – 10 UNDER THE BEN
0600 - 0830 Registration 10 Under the Ben
0845 Mandatory Team Captains meeting 10 Under the Ben
0930 Ten Under The Ben Race Start
All Day – Entertainment from TBA
1930 Last lap commence 10 Under the Ben
2030 Timing Closed
2100 Medal Ceremony 10 Under
2017 COURSE MAPS AVAILABLE here
2018 Course Map available April
This is a list of entries for this event. If you think you should be here and you are not then let us know.
Solo1) Aboyne Newmads - Isabel Davies
2) The Unusual Suspects - Flying Squirrel
3) Rock and Road - Katherine Needham
4) Fine Fettle - Helen Willis
5) Restless Natives - Paula Wilkie
6) IJS Racing - julie fewster
7) Cycle Highlands - Ellie Flather
8) Celia T - Celia Tennant
9) Team Flare/ TrailSkills - Liz Peacock
10) The Pye Men - Duncan Pye
11) Cyclehighlands Ballater - Scott Sutherland-Thomson
12) Earthworm Jim - James Higgins
13) KHP - Lewy Parkinson
14) KHP - calum macarthur
15) Swinnerton Cycles Forest Centre - Peter Nadin
16) KHP - Chris Hassall
17) KHP - Simon - Simon Krievs
18) KHP - Iain Bannister
19) Solus - Matt Cowan
20) KHP - Donald Johnston
21) Team Dysart - ian Dysart
22) Team Le Gimp - Andrew Blaikie
23) The Feel Gype - Lewis Campbell
24) Mark Roberts - Mark Roberts
25) Aboyne Newmads - Miles Newman
26) M.E.T.Athlete - James Mccallum
27) Montrose Triathlon Club - Paul Kefford
28) Iain - Iain Campbell
29) Age is no Barrier - Ian Prescott
30) Ciaran McMahon - Ciaran McMahon
31) Rocan - Alan Nicholson
32) KHP - Mike Lynch
33) coutts74 - andrew coutts
34) bruce80 - jon bruce
35) bruce73 - euan bruce
36) iCycles - Mike Hancock
37) Lutterworth cycles RT - Tim Plimmer
38) Necrohippoflagellation - Peter Cunningham
39) Spin Doctor - Kevin Anderson
40) Angry Dad - David Meldrum
41) LIFE FIT HUB - MUCKY RIDERZ Supa 60 - David Lawtie
42) Ravens Outdoor - Allan Doyle
43) MT ZOOM.com / RDFCC - Anthony White
44) The Unusual Suspects - Kee Wee
45) The Unusual Suspects - Mutts Nutts
46) Thirsk Massive - Nick Wilkin
47) calum macleod - Calum macleod
48) On me tod - Nick Stapleton
49) Ben 10 - Ewen McNeice
50) Team ride it - Craig Mclean
51) IJS Racing - Michael Hutton
52) Stirling Bike Club - Dieter Visser
53) The fastest man in Ireland - Thomas Obrien
54) GoBro - Gordon Pettigrew
55) GoBro - David Pettigrew
56) Stu - Stu Howe
57) SRA Albannach - Niall Shannon
58) David Polley - David Polley
59) Gentle Elk - Mike Mason
60) Team Snail - David Whittaker
61) Craig little - Craig Little
62) Too many Whisky Chasers - Martin Walker
63) Carlsson - James Carlsson
64) Big in Oil - Russell Gourley
65) Brogie - Brogan Bursill
66) Beyond Mountain Bikes - Julian Paphitis
67) Charlie Maltin - Charlie Maltin
68) KTM UK FACTORY MTB TEAM - Lee Monks
69) Dougal Brown - Dougal Brown
70) USE-Exposure - Travers Bikes - E3Coach - Steve Day
71) just keep pedalling pedalling - stuart kennedy
72) just keep pedalling pedalling - ruth kennedy
Pair73) Murphard - Emily Murphy
74) Murphard - Ny Leonard
75) Cutting Some Shapes - Linda Powell
76) Cutting Some Shapes - Rona Loweth
77) Bike buddies - David Stevens
78) Bike buddies - Jonathan Cleary
79) Deuchney Demons - Matthew McCullagh
80) Deuchney Demons - Crispin Oakley
81) Kings of Kinnoull - James Mackie
82) Kings of Kinnoull - Rory Mcleod
83) The Cyclepaths - Gordon Waddell
84) The Cyclepaths - David Dunn
85) ¡¡BTR!! - Sean Dugan
86) ¡¡BTR!! - Ronan Dugan
87) Purple Helmet Cycles - Andy Bell
88) Purple Helmet Cycles - Graeme Duncan
89) GMBC, The Old Guys.. - Thomas Wylie
90) GMBC, The Old Guys.. - Ian Godber
91) Dolphin Chuckers - Anthony Mann
92) Dolphin Chuckers - Euan Wiseman
93) Dicks out for Harambe - Tom Ballard
94) Dicks out for Harambe - Andrew Ballard
95) Enduro Refugees! - Duncan Pye
96) Enduro Refugees! - Thomas McIvor
97) Mitchell - McAuley - Brendan McAuley
98) Mitchell - McAuley - Stewart Mitchell
99) Llambas with Hats - Cameron Martin
100) Llambas with Hats - Lewis Broadhurst
101) Bad Dads - Tim Austin
102) Bad Dads - Marky Cardwell
103) Team Misery - Gordon Stuart
104) Team Misery - William Hoynes
105) Immortal 2 Pies - Dougie Campbell
106) Immortal 2 Pies - Peter Boyd
107) Flat oot fifers - Findlay Adams
108) Flat oot fifers - Mike Bruce
109) Supersonic Saltires - Lee Murray
110) Supersonic Saltires - Callum Paterson
111) Plan Dee - Andy Bain
112) Plan Dee - David Hirst
113) Buzz & Woody - Alasdair Collier
114) Buzz & Woody - James Gardiner
115) The Brothers Grimm - Alex Spencer
116) The Brothers Grimm - Dan Spencer
117) Death Trap Cycles - Thomas Gill
118) Death Trap Cycles - Andrew Ellis
119) Our Couch Pulls Out But We Dont - Iain Morrison
120) Our Couch Pulls Out But We Dont - Steven Kerr
121) Gentle Elk RT - Finn Mason
122) Gentle Elk RT - Miller Crombie
123) Two Old Dogs - Same Old Tricks - Nick Murray
124) Two Old Dogs - Same Old Tricks - Dr Ozone
125) Pair of Jakes - Mark Georgeson
126) Pair of Jakes - Patrick Hutchison
127) The Royston Vasey Gentleman's Cycling Club - james morrell
128) The Royston Vasey Gentleman's Cycling Club - Alex Greenwood
129) Drookit fecht - Graeme McAllister
130) Drookit fecht - Jock McAllister
131) Never again - Stephen Baillie
132) Never again - Graham Stewart
133) herbies hillbillys - raymond mcphie
134) herbies hillbillys - richard sanderson
135) Menstrie Cycles! - Pete Moulding
136) Menstrie Cycles! - Andrew Oxley
137) Warwick Bike Old Boys - Richard Percival
138) Warwick Bike Old Boys - Greg Barton
139) Siddle Racing - Keith Siddle
140) Siddle Racing - Lucy Siddle
Quad141) Moray MBC / ¡¡BTR!! - John McMulkin
142) Moray MBC / ¡¡BTR!! - Alan MacBeth
143) Moray MBC / ¡¡BTR!! - Colin McRae
144) Moray MBC / ¡¡BTR!! - Tim Walters
145) Street Pigeon Racing - Brian Cotter
146) Street Pigeon Racing - Jamie Wallace
147) Street Pigeon Racing - David Buchanan-dunlop
148) Street Pigeon Racing - Robert Birchmore
149) Never say Nevis - ken greig
150) Never say Nevis - john scott
151) Never say Nevis - allie scott
152) Never say Nevis - carol greig
153) Wagon Wheelers - Beth Cupples
154) Wagon Wheelers - Grant Jessiman
155) Wagon Wheelers - Ian Cupples
156) Wagon Wheelers - Jennifer Neilson
157) The Portable Pizza's - Steven Lockhart
158) The Portable Pizza's - Christine Allan
159) The Portable Pizza's - Nina Saunders
160) The Portable Pizza's - Richard Barton
Rules and Regulations
It is important that you and your teammates and support crew read these very carefully. Each lap is approximately 10 miles -under 1 hour for the fastest riders, nearly 2 hours for those who are new to the sport or are just that wee bit more careful. The courses will consist of a bit of everything, including wide single track, narrow single track with rocks, roots, mud, fast flowing single track, low gear uphill’s, water crossings, technical ascents and descents, plus fire roads. The event is for solo riders and for teams in a relay format.
1. Mandatory pre-event meeting at 0830 on Saturday for all team captains/team leaders, although all riders and crew are encouraged to attend. Teams must designate a captain/ team leader (this will be understood to be first name entered in team) to handle all official matters including pre event meeting, picking up registration packs, making sure all teammates have correct numbers and have completed any paperwork etc.
2. Each team and solo rider will bear responsibility for their timing. In order for laps to count riders must pass through the transition area and use the chips correctly every time a lap is completed.
3. Waiting riders should always check in with transition officials prior to starting their lap. Please adhere to the NO RIDE RULES in transition areas. Riders should only use solo riders area if they are in that class.
4. If a team member wishes to do two laps in a row it essential that they still ‘dib’ when passing through transition.
5. Each team member and solo rider must complete a minimum of one lap. Teams will be penalised a lap for each lap not completed by each member except in the case of any injury, which must be reported to race official who will make final decision.
6. If a team member cannot complete his or her lap, the team has the option of starting the lap over with a new rider. They will however, lose the distance and time of the uncompleted lap. The replacement rider must check in with timing official prior to starting the lap.
7. For obvious safety reasons there is no reverse riding on the course.
8. Teammates may cannibalise each other’s bikes or swap if necessary. Riders may accept mechanical support on the course by any other registered rider; transition and camp areas is the only area where assistance from support crews is acceptable.
9. Riders may accept food and water from anyone on the course.
10. We strongly suggest that each team and solo rider have a support crew of at least 1 or 2 persons who are not taking part to assist with various jobs such as organsing transitions, cooking and assisting with mechanical problems.
11. Bike wash areas will be available at each event. Toilets and showers will be available throughout the weekend. Please use the toilets provided.
12. If you are planning camping please be aware that there is limited space in the car park at Nevis Range. The ground is almost all hard standing and not easy to get pegs in. Space is allocated at a first come, first serve basis. Camping will also be available at Torlundy Farm, which is around 2 miles cycle on an old forestry access road (tarred).
13. You will need all your own camping supplies. A variety of food (hot and cold meals, soup and snacks) will be available for purchase at the transition area Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Check website for event specific updates.
14. Riders may require lights, which must be at least 4 watts and be secured to bikes or helmet. NO FUSS will have final say when lights should be used.
15. If lighting is required it will be against the rules for riders to ride with their lights out to save batteries. Riders violating this rule will have their current lap nullified.
16. Only riders officially entered in the event or designated as “Official Course Marshals” may ride the designated course.
17. Wearing a buckled helmet is mandatory anytime you are on your bike in the race area (not just when it is your lap).
18. All team captains and solo riders must attend pre-race meeting at 0830 on the Saturday
19. Ignorance of any rule will not be accepted as an excuse.
20. Foul riding will not be tolerated, unsportsmanlike behaviour is totally un-acceptable. This includes the use of profane or abusive language, this rule is taken very seriously by No Fuss and anyone who violates this rule shall be disqualified from this and any future No Fuss events.
21. Shortcutting the course can be grounds for automatic disqualification of the solo rider or the entire team. If a rider makes a mistake and they report to officials before it is discovered, a time adjustment will be applied rather than a DQ.
22. Riders who are riding their bikes have the right of way over those who are pushing their bikes. Where practical, riders pushing should stay on the least rideable portion of the trail when being passed. Riders are encouraged to call pleasantly “passing on the right or left” as appropriate.
23. All protests must be made by a team captain to a No Fuss Official ( Frazer, Spook or Fiona). Protests can be made throughout the event and up to 15 mins after the final results are posted. It would be appreciated if any protests could be made respectfully to the officials. No Fuss officials say is final in all protests.
24. Safety on the course is our primary concern. If you come across an injured rider or a potentially unsafe situation, you are encouraged to stop and assist. If you stop to give assistance for a health and safety related reason, you should report your number to a passing rider who will turn it in to the transition official so that your team’s next rider may commence their lap. You must then complete your lap, report to the transition official and report the nature of the assistance you provided and an approximate duration of your stop. You will be assigned a lap time in accordance with your or your teams average times, whichever is the faster. NB Time adjustments are made by a No Fuss official and are final. NOTE This rule applies to ONLY health and safety concerns and not mechanical failure.
25. Dropping of Litter on the course will absolutely not be tolerated and may result in DQ. Leave only tyre tracks!
26. The NO FUSS OFFICIALS (FRAZER, SPOOK ) will be given the final decision regarding any occurrence at the event including those not addressed in the rules.