10 Under the Ben 2018
So what should riders expect, firstly No Fuss, thats just what we do! From the course you will find some fine climbs, some sweet singletrack, great gripping descents and a whole lot of fun. It's up to you, you can go as hard, or easy, as you like. The trail network at Nevis Range has been developed around the cross country world cup course which was built in 2007, since then there have been some great additions to the network. We are in no doubt that the course team will deliver another cracker of a course for 2018.
Sticking to the classic mountain bike endurance marathon format of a 10-mile lap and a 10-hour time limit, 10 Under the Ben takes place on the trails beneath Ben Nevis. 10 Under the Ben has stood the test of time and continues to attract an average of 700 riders. Racing in categories which include solo, pair or a quad.
ENTRIES WILL OPEN 6TH NOVEMBER 2017
The aim is to complete as many laps as you can in the 10 hour time limit. Teams ride in relay – there’s only one team member on the course at any one time. The event is timed using Sportident Timing system, each team or solo will be issued with a timing card at registration, The card is worn by the team member on course. When a rider crosses the lap finish line their time is recorded, and they then pass the card onto the next team member and so on.
Riders can do as many laps (or as few) as they want in the time. After riders have passed through the timing area their lap time is recorded, they then pass the card onto team mates or continue if riding solo.
There will be plenty going on around the course and event village, the course itself will have marshalls at all strategic points, Muddy Medics will be on site and on the course if assistance is needed at any point.
The race starts at 0930 on Saturday 28th of April 2018. You must register beforehand (or the evening before) to collect your race number, timing chip and course information. Full details will be sent to entrants with participant notes in the lead up to the race.
Solo Entry £45.00
Pair Entry £84.00
Quad Entry £150.00
We often get asked What do I get for my entry fee?
Apart from all the boring stuff like VAT paid, relevant insurance, business administartion, payroll etc. You know the stuff that it takes to run a business in 2018.
You will get 10 hours of top riding with like minded people doing something that we all love on some of the best trails that Scotland has to offer, trails that will hold out no matter what the weather.
Your race times will be recorded by Sportident Electronic timing and full results throughout the race and results online. Use of the facilities at Nevisrange.
Event village with great food and drink.
The best on course medics available.
On site and on course tech support.
Entertainment, "Music and Laughter with a hey hey we're the boys to entertain you" those of you of an age may want to sing that wee line. We would hope that 2018 will see the return of dancing lady, DJ Skimbo and other trackside entertainment.
There will be parking gestapo working the main sites that we are using for parking, please listen to them, they are going to get you all in! Please note there is ample parking for all participants, there is not ample space for every participant to park and have an easy up, bbq, toilet tent etc etc. We will do our best to accommodate all needs where possible. Parking for Caravanns and Larger motorhomes will be at Nevisrange over spill car park. Please keep an eye on the website for updates around the start of April.
The event schedule is not quite complete, although here is a rough breakdown of how the day will work. We will keep you posted as the day builds.
FRIDAY 27TH APRIL
1800 - 2100 10 Under the Ben Registration at the Pinmartin Cafe at Nevis Range
SATURDAY 28th April – 10 UNDER THE BEN
0600 - 0830 Registration 10 Under the Ben
0845 Mandatory Team Captains meeting 10 Under the Ben
0930 Ten Under The Ben Race Start
All Day – Entertainment from TBA
1930 Last lap commence 10 Under the Ben
2030 Timing Closed
2100 Medal Ceremony 10 Under
2017 COURSE MAPS AVAILABLE here
2018 Course Map available April
This is a list of entries for this event. If you think you should be here and you are not then let us know.
Solo1) Aboyne Newmads - Isabel Davies
2) The Pye Men - Duncan Pye
3) Cyclehighlands Ballater - Scott Sutherland-Thomson
4) Earthworm Jim - James Higgins
5) KHP - Lewy Parkinson
6) KHP - calum macarthur
7) Swinnerton Cycles Forest Centre - Peter Nadin
8) KHP - Chris Hassall
9) KHP - Simon - Simon Krievs
10) KHP - Iain Bannister
11) Solus - Matt Cowan
12) KHP - Donald Johnston
13) Team Dysart - ian Dysart
14) Team Le Gimp - Andrew Blaikie
15) The Feel Gype - Lewis Campbell
16) Mark Roberts - Mark Roberts
17) Aboyne Newmads - Miles Newman
18) M.E.T.Athlete - James Mccallum
19) Montrose Triathlon Club - Paul Kefford
20) Iain - Iain Campbell
21) Age is no Barrier - Ian Prescott
22) Ciaran McMahon - Ciaran McMahon
23) Rocan - Alan Nicholson
24) KHP - Mike Lynch
25) coutts74 - andrew coutts
26) bruce80 - jon bruce
27) bruce73 - euan bruce
28) iCycles - Mike Hancock
29) Lutterworth cycles RT - Tim Plimmer
Pair30) Bike buddies - David Stevens
31) Bike buddies - Jonathan Cleary
32) Deuchney Demons - Matthew McCullagh
33) Deuchney Demons - Crispin Oakley
34) Kings of Kinnoull - James Mackie
35) Kings of Kinnoull - Rory Mcleod
36) The Cyclepaths - Gordon Waddell
37) The Cyclepaths - David Dunn
38) ¡¡BTR!! - Sean Dugan
39) ¡¡BTR!! - Ronan Dugan
40) Purple Helmet Cycles - Andy Bell
41) Purple Helmet Cycles - Graeme Duncan
42) GMBC, The Old Guys.. - Thomas Wylie
43) GMBC, The Old Guys.. - Ian Godber
44) Dolphin Chuckers - Anthony Mann
45) Dolphin Chuckers - Euan Wiseman
46) Dicks out for Harambe - Tom Ballard
47) Dicks out for Harambe - Andrew Ballard
48) Enduro Refugees! - Duncan Pye
49) Enduro Refugees! - Thomas McIvor
50) Mitchell - McAuley - Brendan McAuley
51) Mitchell - McAuley - Stewart Mitchell
52) Llambas with Hats - Cameron Martin
53) Llambas with Hats - Lewis Broadhurst
54) Bad Dads - Tim Austin
55) Bad Dads - Marky Cardwell
Rules and Regulations
It is important that you and your teammates and support crew read these very carefully. Each lap is approximately 10 miles -under 1 hour for the fastest riders, nearly 2 hours for those who are new to the sport or are just that wee bit more careful. The courses will consist of a bit of everything, including wide single track, narrow single track with rocks, roots, mud, fast flowing single track, low gear uphill’s, water crossings, technical ascents and descents, plus fire roads. The event is for solo riders and for teams in a relay format.
1. Mandatory pre-event meeting at 0830 on Saturday for all team captains/team leaders, although all riders and crew are encouraged to attend. Teams must designate a captain/ team leader (this will be understood to be first name entered in team) to handle all official matters including pre event meeting, picking up registration packs, making sure all teammates have correct numbers and have completed any paperwork etc.
2. Each team and solo rider will bear responsibility for their timing. In order for laps to count riders must pass through the transition area and use the chips correctly every time a lap is completed.
3. Waiting riders should always check in with transition officials prior to starting their lap. Please adhere to the NO RIDE RULES in transition areas. Riders should only use solo riders area if they are in that class.
4. If a team member wishes to do two laps in a row it essential that they still ‘dib’ when passing through transition.
5. Each team member and solo rider must complete a minimum of one lap. Teams will be penalised a lap for each lap not completed by each member except in the case of any injury, which must be reported to race official who will make final decision.
6. If a team member cannot complete his or her lap, the team has the option of starting the lap over with a new rider. They will however, lose the distance and time of the uncompleted lap. The replacement rider must check in with timing official prior to starting the lap.
7. For obvious safety reasons there is no reverse riding on the course.
8. Teammates may cannibalise each other’s bikes or swap if necessary. Riders may accept mechanical support on the course by any other registered rider; transition and camp areas is the only area where assistance from support crews is acceptable.
9. Riders may accept food and water from anyone on the course.
10. We strongly suggest that each team and solo rider have a support crew of at least 1 or 2 persons who are not taking part to assist with various jobs such as organsing transitions, cooking and assisting with mechanical problems.
11. Bike wash areas will be available at each event. Toilets and showers will be available throughout the weekend. Please use the toilets provided.
12. If you are planning camping please be aware that there is limited space in the car park at Nevis Range. The ground is almost all hard standing and not easy to get pegs in. Space is allocated at a first come, first serve basis. Camping will also be available at Torlundy Farm, which is around 2 miles cycle on an old forestry access road (tarred).
13. You will need all your own camping supplies. A variety of food (hot and cold meals, soup and snacks) will be available for purchase at the transition area Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Check website for event specific updates.
14. Riders may require lights, which must be at least 4 watts and be secured to bikes or helmet. NO FUSS will have final say when lights should be used.
15. If lighting is required it will be against the rules for riders to ride with their lights out to save batteries. Riders violating this rule will have their current lap nullified.
16. Only riders officially entered in the event or designated as “Official Course Marshals” may ride the designated course.
17. Wearing a buckled helmet is mandatory anytime you are on your bike in the race area (not just when it is your lap).
18. All team captains and solo riders must attend pre-race meeting at 0830 on the Saturday
19. Ignorance of any rule will not be accepted as an excuse.
20. Foul riding will not be tolerated, unsportsmanlike behaviour is totally un-acceptable. This includes the use of profane or abusive language, this rule is taken very seriously by No Fuss and anyone who violates this rule shall be disqualified from this and any future No Fuss events.
21. Shortcutting the course can be grounds for automatic disqualification of the solo rider or the entire team. If a rider makes a mistake and they report to officials before it is discovered, a time adjustment will be applied rather than a DQ.
22. Riders who are riding their bikes have the right of way over those who are pushing their bikes. Where practical, riders pushing should stay on the least rideable portion of the trail when being passed. Riders are encouraged to call pleasantly “passing on the right or left” as appropriate.
23. All protests must be made by a team captain to a No Fuss Official ( Frazer, Spook or Fiona). Protests can be made throughout the event and up to 15 mins after the final results are posted. It would be appreciated if any protests could be made respectfully to the officials. No Fuss officials say is final in all protests.
24. Safety on the course is our primary concern. If you come across an injured rider or a potentially unsafe situation, you are encouraged to stop and assist. If you stop to give assistance for a health and safety related reason, you should report your number to a passing rider who will turn it in to the transition official so that your team’s next rider may commence their lap. You must then complete your lap, report to the transition official and report the nature of the assistance you provided and an approximate duration of your stop. You will be assigned a lap time in accordance with your or your teams average times, whichever is the faster. NB Time adjustments are made by a No Fuss official and are final. NOTE This rule applies to ONLY health and safety concerns and not mechanical failure.
25. Dropping of Litter on the course will absolutely not be tolerated and may result in DQ. Leave only tyre tracks!
26. The NO FUSS OFFICIALS (FRAZER, SPOOK ) will be given the final decision regarding any occurrence at the event including those not addressed in the rules.