Working in partnership with the Colintraive and Glendaruel Development Trust, No Fuss Events bring you the inuagural Cowal Way Chase, a 72km gravel road ride to challenge the toughest and most seasoned of athletes, and a great distance for those weekend warriors looking for a more relaxed day out. This will run in conjunction with the Ultra Run. Please see seperate page for entries.
With nearly 4000ft of ascent, the route will take you over some varied terrain with hard packed paths, loose gravel and slightly technical forest roads, giving you views (No Fuss sunshine guaranteed) over some of the best scenery that one of Scotlands greatest long distance trails has to offer along the Cowal Way.
Entry for The Cowal Way Chase includes;
- Event T shirt
- Event goody bag
- Hot food at finish
- Way marked course and GPX route, with marshals at logistical points
- Support stations
- Full medical team back up
- Entertainment and 2 course buffet at Portavadie resort in evening
Held on Friday evening at Glenbranter forestry office from 5-9pm. Anyone unable to attend will be able to register Saturday morning 7-8.30am. Registration will include;
- Event briefing, including safety information and any last minute changes. It is every participant’s responsibility to ensure you attend/listen to this briefing.
- Event number. This should be attached securely and unobscured and should not be altered or tampered with in any way.
- Timing chip. These are specific to your event number and should be kept with you at all times. If you have not used these before, you will be shown how they work. All chips must be returned after the event and, as they are highly technical, a £20 surcharge will be applied if this is not the case.
- Any self-supported drop bags should be handed over to event organisers at this point.
The course is estimated to take approx. 7 hours, with start times at 10am. It is compulsory that participants are at the start line 20 minutes before the start for a final briefing and updates to the event.
There will be two stations available for riders. Although this is a self-supported event, each station will aim to provide;
- Energy drinks
- Snack foods such as bananas, cake bars, jelly babies etc
The food and support provided by these stations should not be the only form of support, and everyone should aim to carry enough food and spares to complete the event, and these points are easily accessible to participant’s support team vehicles. For anyone competing as self-supported, drop bags may be submitted for transfer to support stations. All bags provided at the sign on should be clearly marked with competitor name/form of identification.
Although there will be support available if required, all entrants understand they must be capable of completing the course self-supported. In the case of bikes, they must be in a serviced and useable condition, with riders carrying the necessary tools/equipment to undertake rudimentary repairs.
The event will be timed from start to finish. Split times will not be taken at support points however, competitors will be checked in as a safety measure. Anyone not wishing to continue/complete the event must inform event staff/marshal as soon as possible.
Varied accommodation is available throught the peninsula, with registration at Glenbranter approx 23 miles from Arrochar and 19 from Dunoon. For any accommodation/booking enquiries for facilities throughout the area, please go to www.cowalway.co.uk and check their See, Eat, Enjoy, Stay page.
The 5 star resort at Portavadie will host our finish point, and offer great value accommodation for those choosing to stay on for our inclusive evening of food and entertainment. Any bookings made here will include a full Scottish breakfast and access to the spa/leisure complex. Access with special rates will be made available to campers etc (not including hookup/breakfast). For booking/more info, please go to www.portavadie.com
The course map will be released as a GPX file no later than 4 weeks prior to the event.
The route will be marked and signed and route signage will always take precedence over the GPS track to allow for any last minute routing changes.
This is a list of entries for this event. If you think you should be here and you are not then let us know.
Bike1) Helen Aidan - Helen Aidan
2) Don't know what I'm doing mtbc - Darren Edwards
3) Tim Lawrence - Tim Lawrence
4) Paul Bailey - Paul Bailey
The Terms and Conditions detailed below apply to all entrants participating in The Cowal Way Chase. Completion of an entry form or purchase of an entry by every participant acknowledges acceptance of these Terms and Conditions by the participant.
- Participants are required to attend a start line briefing and read briefing notes and sign to confirm that they agree to abide by the instructions given.
- All participants must be self-supported/have support teams. The event organisers and staff are not responsible for your preparedness whilst out on the course.
- Riders should ensure their bike is in a serviceable state to complete the full distance. A standard road bike is NOT suitable for this event.
- Each participant, upon signing the registration form, agrees that they are physically and mentally capable of riding the distance they have chosen. If, during the event, they decide to change their route and distance, then all consequences of this action are theirs.
- If the situation arises that you are in an accident and are not capable of making the decision to call the emergency services, participants agree that a member of the organisation or a member of the public/other participant may call for them.
- At any time pre, during, and post event, participants must conduct themselves in a manner that does not discredit themselves or the event organisers. They must be considerate to other public users of the course at all times.
- Participants are expected to respect the countryside that the event travels through. Anyone stopping for a comfort break are asked to do so discretely and appropriately and not to cause any offence to local residents or other users. Participants are expected not to drop or leave any litter on any part of the route and to dispose of it responsibly at an appropriate place or bin. Anyone found littering will be disqualified from the event
- There may be sections of public road included within the course. You must obey all Highway Code rules.
- Riders whilst participating in the event must do so wearing a helmet complying with latest EN1078, ANSI Z90/4 or SNELL standards. Any rider not conforming with this term will not be allowed to start or will be removed from the event if started.
- The organisers reserve the right to postpone or cancel the event should access to the event or sufficient portions of the course be deemed too dangerous due to severe adverse weather conditions.
- All riders are covered by third party insurance for the duration of the event. The cost of this is included in your entry fee. In addition, No Fuss Events are covered by public liability insurance.
- Organisers cannot take responsibility for loss or damage of personal possessions during the event.
- During the event there will be warning signs at appropriate points on the trails or roads used for this event. Absence of these signs does not signal there are no dangers approaching and it is the individual rider’s responsibility to make a decision regarding whether to ride a section or not. The marking of the route does not necessarily indicate that the trail or road is rideable and the participant is deemed to make their own decision about whether to proceed on bike, foot or not at all.
- Each participant hereby grants to No Fuss Events an exclusive, absolute and irrevocable worldwide assignment in perpetuity in the photographs/film/video/electronic representations and/or sound recordings of the participant obtained at the event and grants to No Fuss Events the right to use and publish such content in any and all media. The participant hereby releases No Fuss Events from any and all liability from such use and promotion. The participant hereby authorises the reproduction, sale, copyright, exhibit, broadcast, electronic storage and/or distribution of said photographs/film/video tapes/electronic representations and/or sound recordings without limitation at the discretion of No Fuss Events. The participant specifically waives any right to any compensation they may have for appearing in any of the photographs/film/video/electronic representations and/or sound recordings of the participant at a No Fuss Events event.
- In the event that a participant fails to complete the course for any reason they agree to return to the event finish or contact an event staff member marshal before the close of the event. Not doing so will mean that a search may be organised and the subsequent cost will be billed to the rider.
- Entrants may apply for a 100% refund (up to) 6 weeks prior to the event and a 50% refund (up to) 4 weeks prior to the event. There will be no refunds or transfer of entry after a date 4 weeks before the event i.e. 23rd September 2017. All refunds will incur a £5 administrative fee. Entries are non transferable.
- An acceptable charge (£20) for any loss or damage caused by a rider to timing equipment will be made.