The Cowal way chase
After the immense success of the Cowal Chase and Ultra in 2017 we are delighted to again be working with the Colintraive and Glendaruel Development Trust, to bring you the second Cowal Way Chase, for 2018 the will be using a more northern section of the Cowal Way starting and finishing in Lochgoilhead. The 60km gravel road ride will challenge the toughest and most seasoned of athletes, it is a perfect distance for those weekend warriors looking for a more relaxed day out. (please note the Gravel Race will be run in conjunction with the Ultra Run.)
With almost 900m of ascent, it is fair to say that the route will take you over some varied terrain with hard packed paths, loose gravel and slightly technical forest roads, giving you views over some of the best scenery that one of Scotland’s greatest long distance trails has to offer.
Cowal Way Chase Ultra Run/Bike 2018
Race Date: Saturday 14th July 2018
Start Time: Run-9.00hrs / Bike- 09:30hrs at Lochgoilhead.
Event briefing, (15 Minutes prior to race start) will include safety information and any last minute changes. It is every participant’s responsibility to ensure that they attend/listen to this briefing.
Event number. This should be attached securely and unobscured and should not be altered or tampered with in any way.
Timing chip. These are specific to your event number and should be kept with you at all times. If you have not used these before, you will be shown how they work. All chips must be returned after the event and, as they are highly technical, a £20 surcharge will be applied if this is not the case.
Any self-supported drop bags should be handed over to event organisers at this point.
Friday 13th July 17.00hrs – 19.30hrs Lochgoilhead (Venue TBC)
Saturday 14th July 08.00hrs – 09.30hrs Lochgoilhead (Venue TBC)
Start Location: Lochgoilhead
Finish Location: Lochgoilhead
1. There will be two water/feed station on the route the main stop at Strachur and a further stop at at grid NN128999 on the forest road junction at Beinn Lagan on the east side.
2. Drop bags will be available at: Feed Station which will be approximatley the half way point and relay change over.
3. Cut-off times will be at Feed Station will be 1430.
Race Day Schedule:
0800hrs - 0900hrs: Drop bags at Lochgoilhead
Drop bags should be clearly labelled with your race number. You will be able to pick this up in the main marquee at the finish line, this is mainly for small backpacks etc, bearing in mind we are not responsible for any valuables left in your bags.
Not really suitable for a road bike, mountain bike or cx bike are ideal.
Please make sure you have puncture kit, spare inner tubes etc
1. An emergency foil blanket.
2. A fully charged and switched on mobile phone with Race Control number stored. 07867977616
3. A waterproof jacket
Please don’t drop any litter on the trail! Please use the official litter bins which will be
Located within the vicinity of each checkpoint.
What are the rules about gates?
If you pass through an open gate, leave it open. If the gate is closed, please close it behind you
Rules on the use of an iPod/MP3 player? Sorry NO NO NO
What should I do if I come across an injured runner/rider?
You absolutely MUST stop and try to help, however at all times please ensure you do not put your own safety at risk. It is very important that we all look after each other out there. If a runner or biker is seriously injured then please call 999 first, then Race Control (this number will already be in your phone) If you have no mobile phone signal please wait until another runner/rider arrives to assist then
Ride on until you get a signal. If the runner can’t move and is getting cold please use your and other Runners’/Riders emergency foil blankets to keep the injured runner/rider warm.
What do I do if I'm timed out, or if I decide to withdraw from the race?
If you withdraw from the race at one of the checkpoints, please let a marshal know you are stopping, and make sure you give them your name and your race number. If you decide to withdraw from the race between checkpoints and have your support crew pick you up somewhere, please phone Race Control ( 07867977616 ) and let us know that you're okay.
Please DO NOT simply exit the race and go home without telling marshals. We don't want to have to call out mountain rescue to go looking for you, especially if you're already sitting at home with your feet up.
If you withdraw from the race, and you don't have a support crew, sweeper vehicles at the checkpoints will be able to drive you on to the finish at Lochgoilhead. However, please be aware that this may be some time after the checkpoint finally closes, so you could have a wait of several hours.
There will be first aid personnel at every checkpoint to look after runners, if you need assistance please make yourself known to them and they'll t appropriate care of you until the checkpoint closes or further assistance arrives.
The race finishes at Lochgoilhead, where you will get soup/ tea/coffee, and we have separate shower and changing facilities for all competitors. (TBC)
Instructions for parking at Lochgoilhead will be issued with participant notes in the week leading up to the event.
Entry for The Cowal Way Chase includes;
- Event T shirt
- Event goody bag
- Hot food at finish
- Digital timing from SI entries
- Way marked course and GPX route, with marshals at logistical points
- Support stations
- Full medical team back up
There will be one feed station available for riders. Although this is a self-supported event, each station will aim to provide;
- Energy drinks
- Snack foods such as bananas, cake bars, jelly babies etc
The food and support provided by these stations should not be the only form of support, and everyone should aim to carry enough food and spares to complete the event, and these points are easily accessible to participant’s support team vehicles. For anyone competing as self-supported, drop bags may be submitted for transfer to support stations. All bags provided at the sign on should be clearly marked with competitor name/form of identification.
Although there will be support available if required, all entrants understand they must be capable of completing the course self-supported. In the case of bikes, they must be in a serviced and useable condition, with riders carrying the necessary tools/equipment to undertake rudimentary repairs.
The event will be timed from start to finish. Split times will not be taken at support points however, competitors will be checked in as a safety measure. Anyone not wishing to continue/complete the event must inform event staff/marshal as soon as possible.
Full Course description will be issued three weeks prior to the event.
This is a list of entries for this event. If you think you should be here and you are not then let us know.
Gravel1) Cowal - Max MT
2) Mad Matt and Ali Bali - Ali McCrossan
3) Lydia - Lydia Davis
4) Helen - Helen Doherty
5) GEOCAT Racing Team - Catriona Maitland
6) Angela Salmons - Angela Salmons
7) Purple Haze - Lorna Ahlquist
8) Auld Reekie - Gillian Reekie
9) Chris Moss - Chris Moss
10) Cowal Mountain Bike Club - Allan Cameron
11) cowal mountain bike club - richie mcfadden
12) Cowal Mountain Bike Club - Ross MT
13) Cowal Mountain Bike Club - Andrew Ferguson
14) Mad Matt and Ali Bali - Matt Evans
15) Cowal Mountain Bike Club - John Ferrie
16) Colin McCrum - Colin McCrum
17) CMTB - Graeme Taylor
18) The super happy fun pals - Thomas Wade
19) The super happy fun pals - Donald Allan
20) Race Team Andrew Allan Architecture - Craig Black
21) Dunfermline Cycling Club - Gavin Cooper
22) Michael B Preece - Michael Preece
23) Mark Taylor - Mark Taylor
24) Ben Preece - Tom Heneghan
25) Kate&Charli - Charlotte Docherty-Shortt
26) Fire - Sandy Gillespie
27) GEOCAT Racing Team - George Maitland
28) Twa Bog Loupers - Bill Turner
29) Twa Bog Loupers - Archie Jonstone
30) Team Fire + 1 - Eamonn Murray
31) Gordon Anderson - Gordon Anderson
32) Glensluain - Matt Dean
33) Auld Reekie - Bruce Reekie
34) Cowal Mountain Bike Club - Gus Cairns
35) Cowal Mountain Bike Club - Sara Cairns
36) Ja-Ma-hairy - Mhairi Smith
37) Ja-Ma-hairy - Jamie Ross
The Terms and Conditions detailed below apply to all entrants participating in The Cowal Way Chase. Completion of an entry form or purchase of an entry by every participant acknowledges acceptance of these Terms and Conditions by the participant.
- Participants are required to attend a start line briefing and read briefing notes and sign to confirm that they agree to abide by the instructions given.
- All participants must be self-supported/have support teams. The event organisers and staff are not responsible for your preparedness whilst out on the course.
- Riders should ensure their bike is in a serviceable state to complete the full distance. A standard road bike is NOT suitable for this event.
- Each participant, upon signing the registration form, agrees that they are physically and mentally capable of riding the distance they have chosen. If, during the event, they decide to change their route and distance, then all consequences of this action are theirs.
- If the situation arises that you are in an accident and are not capable of making the decision to call the emergency services, participants agree that a member of the organisation or a member of the public/other participant may call for them.
- At any time pre, during, and post event, participants must conduct themselves in a manner that does not discredit themselves or the event organisers. They must be considerate to other public users of the course at all times.
- Participants are expected to respect the countryside that the event travels through. Anyone stopping for a comfort break are asked to do so discretely and appropriately and not to cause any offence to local residents or other users. Participants are expected not to drop or leave any litter on any part of the route and to dispose of it responsibly at an appropriate place or bin. Anyone found littering will be disqualified from the event
- There may be sections of public road included within the course. You must obey all Highway Code rules.
- Riders whilst participating in the event must do so wearing a helmet complying with latest EN1078, ANSI Z90/4 or SNELL standards. Any rider not conforming with this term will not be allowed to start or will be removed from the event if started.
- The organisers reserve the right to postpone or cancel the event should access to the event or sufficient portions of the course be deemed too dangerous due to severe adverse weather conditions.
- All riders are covered by third party insurance for the duration of the event. The cost of this is included in your entry fee. In addition, No Fuss Events are covered by public liability insurance.
- Organisers cannot take responsibility for loss or damage of personal possessions during the event.
- During the event there will be warning signs at appropriate points on the trails or roads used for this event. Absence of these signs does not signal there are no dangers approaching and it is the individual rider’s responsibility to make a decision regarding whether to ride a section or not. The marking of the route does not necessarily indicate that the trail or road is rideable and the participant is deemed to make their own decision about whether to proceed on bike, foot or not at all.
- Each participant hereby grants to No Fuss Events an exclusive, absolute and irrevocable worldwide assignment in perpetuity in the photographs/film/video/electronic representations and/or sound recordings of the participant obtained at the event and grants to No Fuss Events the right to use and publish such content in any and all media. The participant hereby releases No Fuss Events from any and all liability from such use and promotion. The participant hereby authorises the reproduction, sale, copyright, exhibit, broadcast, electronic storage and/or distribution of said photographs/film/video tapes/electronic representations and/or sound recordings without limitation at the discretion of No Fuss Events. The participant specifically waives any right to any compensation they may have for appearing in any of the photographs/film/video/electronic representations and/or sound recordings of the participant at a No Fuss Events event.
- In the event that a participant fails to complete the course for any reason they agree to return to the event finish or contact an event staff member marshal before the close of the event. Not doing so will mean that a search may be organised and the subsequent cost will be billed to the rider.
- Entrants may apply for a 100% refund (up to) 6 weeks prior to the event and a 50% refund (up to) 4 weeks prior to the event. There will be no refunds or transfer of entry after a date 4 weeks before the event i.e. 23rd September 2017. All refunds will incur a £5 administrative fee. Entries are non transferable.
- An acceptable charge (£20) for any loss or damage caused by a rider to timing equipment will be made.