Welcome to the No Fuss Ultimate MTB challenge for endurance athletes and people with a sense of adventure. Back again to great acclaim, The Tour is the race that takes mountain biking back to the mountains!
Once described as "The thinking mans (or womans) mountain bike race where all round fitness, strenghth, power, skill, determination are all bound together with a little bit of strategy and tactics."
Training Plans and Day Courses
We'll help you gain confidence in your technique and fitness. Book onto a Day Course and download your Training Plan today
The event is about circumnavigating Ben Nevis starting from Fort William the Outdoor Capital of the UK. It is a 68km journey of discovery about our wonderful environment, about yourself and for some, we have no doubt, about your bike. It is a stage race where the aim is to gather points throughout the course and, for those at the front, it can be a very tactical race!
It is an opportunity to ride through some of the most rugged and isolated areas that the Scottish Highlands have to offer. The course is undulating and varied with river and stream crossings, climbs and long descents. This is a tough and technical bike ride, determination and a love of riding your bike are required!
This is one of the country’s longest point to point events. The course has been described as MTB Endurance and a Mountain Marathon race all rolled into one. It is tough; but it is achievable.
However, we stress this is more of an event than a race. Those that are super fit and want to race hard will not be disappointed and the 4 special timed sections will spice it up a bit and really bring out the competitors from within. Those who see this as a major personal challenge will be able to pace themselves and enjoy the adventure and wilderness of this remote area.
The course will not be littered with signage and support people, it will be left as untouched as possible to allow you to enjoy this environment in its natural state. With this comes some personal responsibility, which is a big part of the event ethos. We are taking the bubblewrapping away and letting you take on this event knowing that you will need motivation and tenacity to get to the finish line.
Check out 2010's official event film here.
Friday 23rd September 6-9pm at Cotswold Camping ,102 High Street, Fort William PH33 6DG.
NB There is no official registration on the morning of the event, however, if you are unable to make it on the Friday evening, please contact us to let us know and we will have your race number and timing chip ready on Saturday morning. We would like to have everyone ready and good to go by 9.30am for a prompt 10am start. We will be at the start on Fort William High Street from 8am.**
At the registration you will receive:
• Race briefing, safety information and the latest course changes / information. This will include the special stage information.
• Your personal race number plate and zip ties to attach your number to your bike. The number must be attached securely to the front of your bike for the entire event. Do not alter or cut the number plate in any way.
• Timing chip – timing chips MUST be returned after the race. Please don’t forget as that little piece of plastic is very expensive to replace -there will be a £20 charge if the timing chip is not returned
This event takes place in one of the most scenic areas of Scotland and Fort William will hopefully provide you with everything and more that you will need for your stay.
If we can assist please do not hesitate to contact us.
On Saturday morning, in the first instance please leave your car at your hotel/accommodation if possible (A few more kilometre won’t hurt, at least not in the morning!) Or if you have to drive, please park at one of the various car parks in town - The car park at Lochaber high School is the biggest of close to the finish area and showers will be available at the school.
Fort William is located on the A82 approximately 100 miles north of Glasgow.
From the South
As you enter Fort William from the South, the West End car park is left off the first roundabout.
From the North
Continue on the A82 and along the town bypass to the West End roundabout.
Safety and First Aid
First aid will be provided out on the course. Mucky Medics will be providing first aid cover throughout the course. There will also be a few safety knights on shining motorbikes.
This is a list of entries for this event. If you think you should be here and you are not then let us know.
Entry1) Debbie McWhirr - Debbie McWhirr
2) Call me maybe - Emma Turnbull
3) Gritty Kitties - Julie Greengrass
4) Mikes Bikes Aviemore - Katie Hanson
5) Zoe - Zoe Newson
6) 777 Racing - Natalie Munro
7) Lethal Bizzle - Sarah Healy
8) SWC - Naomi Freireich
9) Laura - Laura Cunningham
10) chacho neese - Sally McNaught
11) Lizzie Barker - Lizzie Barker
12) Hervelo - Gill Davies
13) Lake Cycles - Sally Ozanne
14) Mikes Bikes Aviemore - Sally Devlin
15) i-cycles - Rachael McDougal
16) Mapdec Cycle Works/Lakes Cycles - Helen Jackson
17) [email protected] - Mairi Thom
18) Team Claire - Claire Frost
19) Desperately Seeking Adventure - Aleisha Keating
20) Pedals Bike Care - Amy Hickman
21) Mikes Bikes Aviemore - Brid Walsh
22) hoping for sunshine - Janette Macleod
23) Coops Racing - Dan Cooper
24) AyrshireMTB - Andrew Dodds
25) The Indian Fire Trail - San Kapil
26) SPRA - See Paul Rolling Along - Paul McAndrew
27) Clubrunday - Andy Melville
28) The Good & The Bad - steve eastwood
29) The Good & The Bad - Joss Eastwood
30) Bull in the Heather - Angus Hamilton
31) Needed an excuse for a new bike - Donald Miller
32) Team PAIN - steve gentle
33) Ali made me do it AGAIN ! - Paul Taylor
34) DRKMN - Derek Main
35) Perth City Cycles - Ian Holden
36) Mo - maurice mckeown
37) Derek Burnside - Derek Burnside
38) Onmatod - Douglas Wallace
39) Stu Cutler - stuart cutler
40) Reeves - Thomas reeves
41) Matthew - Matthew Reeves
42) Inspired by Walt & Art - Scott Sutherland-Thomson
43) Spicy Bikers - thomas jenkins
44) Bobsticle - Bob Skinazi
45) The Wee fella - Richard Kelly
46) Mikes Bikes Aviemore - mark Swinney
47) iPlod - Euain Drysdale
48) Heathy - Dave Heath
49) Ginger Prince - Ben Taylor
50) DDHH - Struan Dalgleish
51) Ross Young - Ross Young
52) DDHH - Nelly Shand
53) DDHH - Cory Amundrud
54) DDHH - Shaun Harnden
55) The Cleavland Steamer - Colin Leggett
56) stinker bridge skinnies - sean begley
57) Devilman - Peter Devlin
58) Muddy Funsters - Gus Hull
59) Muddy Funsters - Duncan MacPhail
60) Craig ODonnell - Craig ODonnell
61) Lloyd - David Lloyd
62) Oceaneering - Dan Scoville
63) Mike Hancock - Mike Hancock
64) Duncan Clark - Duncan Clark
65) Gourock Grandad - Tony Sweeney
66) Monkey Business - Jay Gleave
67) Bothycreative.com / Spey Valley Brewery - Duncan Johnston
68) Stravaiging - Callum Kellie
69) i - Cycles - Keith Forsyth
70) Spannermonkeys'r'us - jonathan stewart
71) Lowe Alpine - David Wallace
72) mike bikes aviemore - james welding
73) Tintin Rides Again - David Cazalet
74) The Gentleman's Cycling Club - Matt Cartney
75) The Gentleman's Cycling Club - Doug Bridgens
76) Elite Spanner Racing - Paul Devlin
77) Ecodyn - Duncan Oswald
78) Ecodyn - Gregor Hogg
79) Basecamp Bikes/The Cycle Jersey - Donald Rodgers
80) Meet4Rides.com - Kristan Rivers
81) Meet4Rides.com - Richard Wake
82) scottoiler / alpine bikes trek store race team - Craig Hudson
83) Mikes Bikes Aviemore - Martin Amos
84) Die Alten Kerlen - Dawson Michie
85) Die Alten Kerlen - Roddy Whyte
86) Jamie - Jamie Mactavish
87) 777 Racing - Alexander Roger
88) Justin - Justin Swabey
89) Stinker Bridge Skinnies - Dan Weatherly
90) Kincraig Caravan Club - David Robertson
91) Burn The Cork - Mark Tate
92) Shivering whippets - Stuart Skelton
93) Lame Dog Racing - Michael Cliff
94) Oyne Fatboys MTB Club - Paul Davies
95) Oyne Fatboys MTB Club - Jason James
96) Dumb & Dumber - Steven Mitchell
97) Meet4Rides.com - Mark Cryer
98) Mr.Jellyman. - James Jelly
99) Carbocide - Rob Oberholzer
100) Carbocide - Mike Croning
101) Pooleman - Ailsa Pooleman
102) Pooleman - Ian Pooleman
103) Highlander sealed bike drive - Alan Burr
104) Hope Factory Racing - Rachael Walker
105) Hope Technology - Rupert Fowler
106) hope technology - Ben Whitehead
107) enthDegree - Jon Entwistle
108) N/A - ANDREW SMITH
109) Ginger_Winger - Ewan Paterson
110) Team Thor - Guy Nevison
111) Team Thor - Marc Eddon
112) Kermit D. Fonz - Craig Perry
113) First Time - Richard Evans
114) canuck whippet - Wayne Shtybel
115) Better Shed than Dead - David Thomson
116) Solo Muppet - Gavin Baxter
117) Crazy Fool - Richard White
118) ¡¡¡BTR!!! Scuderia MTB (MMBC) - Colin McRae
119) fatboys - Mike Whiteside
120) fatboys - Ian Carey
121) immortal two pies - douglas campbell
122) immortal two pies - peter boyd
123) Fierce Beer - Paul Gordon
124) Fierce Beer - Colin Cheyne
125) Pete H - Pete Hall
126) All Dan Hill - Dan Tredinnick
127) Where is my mind? - Olivier Deschenes
128) Wait For Me.... - colin mcmillan
129) Stuart cox - stuart Cox
130) Tigertalis - Brian Bathgate
131) Jamie Maxwell - Jamie Maxwell
132) Paul Matthews - Paul Matthews
133) Edinburgh University CC - Stuart Gilfillan
134) Team Soreem - Scott Smith
135) BillyBilslandCycles - Barry Wilson
136) Culloden Trail Riderz - Andy Barbour
137) www.bikepackscotland.co.uk - Tim Colebrooke
138) Yer maw's a dirty - Niall Pairman
139) Oyne Fatboys MTB Club - Poul Ipsen
140) Talon - Rob Sartin
141) Talon - Paul Simpson
142) Talon - David Bell
143) Spanner Racing - Murray Watson
144) john dixon - john dixon
145) Jane said, do it! - Mike Snook
146) Rufus Lovegood - Gary Pollard
147) David Wright - David Wright
148) Stein Race Team - Paul Stein
149) Matso Madness - Matthew Freer
150) Weeheed Zika - Nicholas Brown
151) Team CHR - Dominic Dixon
152) Craig Robertson - Craig Robertson
153) Hillbilly Greig - Greig Ruxton
154) ¡¡BTR!! - Sean Dugan
155) Haigie - Graham Haig
156) Barry - Barry Lawford
157) Dougals Ambition - Keith Hollis
158) Slovakian devil - Lukas Solanka
159) Thing 1 - Bob Garven
160) North European Donkey Jockeys - Josh Durkin
161) chacho neese - Stuart Mitchell
162) Shenanigans - Ryan Fulton
163) JMC - Karl Zeiner
164) Alan Yardley - Alan Yardley
165) Michael Lumb - Michael Lumb
166) Scott Gibson - Scott Gibson
167) Southern donkey jockey - Justin Park
168) BigBadBadura RaceTeam - Rob Badura
169) NACC-ered - Dougie Muirhead
170) Carb Cycles - Sam Hayman
171) Steven Richardson - Steven Richardson
172) Jason Mitchell - Jason Mitchell
173) Rew Ferguson - Rew Ferguson
174) Jig Johnson - Jig Johnson
175) Robert Allan - Robert Allan
176) Auld Skool - Stephen King
177) The Crushed Orange - Michael Lee
178) Burn The Cork - Neil Kirk
179) Big H - Hendry McNicol
180) Top notch racing - Nigel Love
181) Team Caveman - David Sidley
182) Team McChouffe - Adam Broadhurst
183) Maybe I like the misery - George Maitland
184) Highland Fencer - Johnny Maitland
185) Zika Weeheed - Alan Speed
186) itdoesnotexist - Peter Barker
187) Errrrrrrrr - Christopher Perry
188) Dalfling Flyer - Ben Hudson
189) Tad a Mab - Andreas Erhardt
190) Tad a Mab - Andreas Erhardt
191) 59 Degrees North - Graham Bichan
192) Team Thor - Craig Hartley-Green
193) 59NRTH - David Farrer
194) Kenneth - Kenneth Humphreys
195) Magnus Dowell - Magnus Dowell
196) Stein race team - marc brown
197) specialneedsracing - isaac fishwick
198) specialneedsracing - darren kearns
199) The Alyways - Aly Salisbury
200) LGW-NRW - Allan Hossack
201) Privateer - Ricardo Parreirinha
202) PIZZA PIZZA PIZZA - Tom Hunt
203) SPRA - Derek Duncan
204) Spanner Racing - Graham Stickle
205) Spanner Racing - Davie Peacock
206) The Red Fochs - Mark Smith
207) Meatbag - Chris McClements
208) D & A College - Patrick Fenwick
209) D & A College - Alistair Mitchell
210) Pdiddymurphy - Gav Murphy
211) Same as Usual - Nathan Hewitt
212) Cycling Weakly - Katy Boocock
213) Never Hurry a Murray - David Murray
214) No HopeMan - Tim Clarke
215) No HopeMan - Shaun Clarke
216) Yahoo - Stuart Whitelaw
217) Rocco - Ross MacDonald
218) Infinity Cycles - Simon Ayto
219) neil scott - Neil Scott
220) Cycles in Motion - Dan Smith
221) Two Bananas Racing - Ian Holmes
222) Stirling Triathlon - Craig Coull
223) Lochaber Broom Wagon - Nick McArdle
224) NETCO - Tom Jenkins
225) Team yahoo - Iain Hassell
226) MFCC - Eric Innes
227) Do I have to? - EDWARD NILAND
228) Pee Stained Hobo - Steve Lambie
229) Dalton - Stephen Dalton
230) PMBA Enduro Series Hope/Orange/KS/ONeal - Kev Duckworth
231) TATT - Rab Hill
232) Transit Bandit - Alex Blake
233) team vigilante - gary coltman
234) Team Poco Loco Freeride Team - Stuart Pringle
235) alixbear - Saunders Mackay
236) Chalets les Fourgs - Thomas Moro
237) Team Poco Loco Freeride Team - Simon Adams
238) Rae Gibson - Rae Gibson
239) Top notch racing - Nigel Love
240) solo - George Pritchard
241) Hippo Calves - Mark Hunter
242) Ravenswood Racing - Stuart Wilson
243) Velo Club Moulin - Graeme Warren
244) Lakes Cycles - Kieran Hodgson
245) Air do rothair - Alan MacBeth
246) Yup - Johnny Chree
247) NACC-ered - Calum Muirhead
248) Skye Bike Shack - Norman Macleod
249) Morenutzthanboltz - Andrew Richard
250) Tanuki - Bob MacGregor
251) Should Know Better - Dave Abernethy
252) BRONEILL1 - Shaleph ONeill
253) inverness cycle club - Alan Horsburgh
254) A Couple o Numb Nuts - Alan McKean
255) A Couple o Numb Nuts! - Nigel Pennington
256) Living the Dram! - Neil Wright
257) Chopper - Iain Rivans
258) HERBIE'S HILLBILIES.... - Roddy Weir
259) Wiccan army - Margus Mets
260) Mapdec Cycle Works - Paul Vousden
261) Handlebar Headers - Steven Mackintosh
262) LG - Liam Gordon
263) Team Morag - Gareth Evans
264) Mikes bikes aviemore - Gemma Munro
265) [email protected] - Simon Smith
266) DDHH - alastair stuart
267) Timeout - Tony Gregg
268) Ravenswood Racing - Colin Duguid
269) Are we nearly there yet? - Grant Maynard
270) Team cycles Gateshead - Richie Smith
271) Moreorless - Dougie More
272) He said do it - Vince Mackintosh
273) team Hooligan - keith Jackson
274) Hebridean Cycle Club - Gavin Earons
275) RJC - Ross Clark
276) Mikes Bikes Aviemore - Bruce Kenneth Griffiths
277) Kev - Keiran Lane
278) Lone Stooge - Robert Douglas
279) Broken Man - Trevor McDonald
280) Survival of the thickest - Steve Banham
281) Carrick Cycles - Craig Macey-Lillie
282) Doug Little - Doug Little
283) The Old git - Myles Houlden
284) Mintcake Munchers - Paul Crosby
285) Pedals Bike Care - Scott Lindsay
286) Beauty and the Beast - Lucy Scrase
287) Beauty and the Beast - Ivan Scrase
288) Matso Madness - Mairi Nelson
289) Cycling Weakly - Peter Ferguson
290) Pooleman - Mark Pooleman
Read carefully: Non compliance with any of the Race Rules will result in
disqualification of the competitor from this event.
1. Approved cycle helmets must be worn at all times.
2. Road rules apply at all times, on all private or public roads during this event.
3. Riders must not ride more than two abreast on any Highway
4. Riders must ride in single file if impending vehicle traffic behind you.
5. Competitors must keep as far left as possible at all times, on all roads and tracks to
ensure sufficient and safe passing.
6. Competitors must not deviate from the obvious track or attempt to take shortcuts.
Drafting is permitted.
7. Any competitor withdrawing from the race must inform a Race Marshal at the first
possible opportunity after the decision to withdraw is made.
8. Competitors must know how to fix basic mechanical breakdowns (chain break and
repair flat tyres).
9. You are not permitted to alter or cut the event number plate in any way.
10. Event officials reserve the right to remove any competitor if they consider they are not
capable of safely completing the event.
11. Please do not leave any rubbish along the route. All food wrappers drink bottles, tubes
etc must be carried to the finish line and not discarded anywhere along the route
except at the Aid Stations.
12. Anyone seen discarding rubbish will be disqualified and will not receive a time or
position as applicable (take memories or photos but leave tyre marks only).
13. Participants must avoid stock if possible and all gates must be left as they are found.
14. No outside assistance is allowed by support crews to any competitor and no supporters
will be allowed to follow riders on the course.
15. Competitors must read the pre race course briefing notes supplied at registration.
16. Competitors must obey instructions from Marshals at all times. They are there for
everyone’s safety and enjoyment.
17. You are not allowed to swap bikes. You must finish on the bike you start on, unless you
have had a major breakdown and use a rescue bike from the tail end charlie vehicle.
18. To receive a position you must complete the entire course under you own steam.
19. Teams are not permitted to use any sort of towing device except for towing a team
member that has damaged their bike to the point that it cannot be self propelled.
20. For Team category all team members must cross the finish line together for the team
to qualify as having completed the challenge and for merit prizes if applicable.
21. The last team member across the line will be recorded as the team time.
22. Compulsory gear as per the list below must be carried or will result in disqualification.
23. Entries are not transferable. We need to know who is on the course and what medical
conditions you may have so we can deliver the appropriate response in the event of an
• 2 tubes or a puncture repair kit
• Tyre leavers
• Multi tool
• Chain breaker (learn how to use it please)
• Poly prop / Thermal layer top and bottoms
• Serious waterproof jacket
• First Aid kit (gauze squares, tape, an elastic crepe bandage, sunscreen, anti-chaff
cream, insect repellent).
• Whistle in case you go over a bank, break a leg and no one can see you.
• Survival blanket in case you are there for some time whistling.
• At least one water bottle and sufficient food to meet your individual energy needs
for 5-10 hours of riding.
NOTE: Please comply with the gear requirements. We take your personal safety seriously and
do not want to inconvenience you with gear and bike checks to ensure you have complied
with the race rules. Help us to help you.
Recommended Gear - For cold weather
•Poly prop / Thermal beanie
•Full finger gloves
To enjoy this event you need to be able to keep moving for about 5-10 hours. The fastest
time is expected to be around 4 Hours and up to 8 for those ones trying to get the most
value from their entry fee.
You don’t want to carry too much gear so consider carefully the clothing you need and your
The weather can change quickly from extremely hot to snowing in a matter of hours, so
study the weather forecasts and plan for the worst case scenario from that.
The water in the river crossings will also be drinkable
Food & Drink
Recommended for All Riders
Drink: There are numerous stream crossings that contain safe water.
Food: Please carry and consume enough to get you through the event.
Race start 10am.
For safety reasons we are unfortunately obliged to enforce a cut off times for this years event.
If you have not reached the top of the Mamore Descent by 1230 you will be short coursed along along the Landrover track to Mamore Lodge to continue with the event.
If you are not at the top of the Mamore Descent by 1330 you will told to return by the way you came.
If you haven’t reached the spean bridge end of the event by 1700 we will ask you to return with us in an event vehicle.
If you past these points before cut of time. We will wait for you to finish, so long as you are
making every effort to keep moving.
Route Markings / Hazards
There are numerous unmarked hazards on this course, as there should be with a wilderness
adventure of this nature. Potholes, rocks, stock, rutted tracks, steep descents, banks etc are
all part of what is required to be negotiated by the competitor.
Any hazards outside of those expected will be identified and marked accordingly to ensure
your safety. The Course Coordinator does not anticipate any such hazards requiring
The course will not be marked with directional arrows except at critical junctions. The tracks
do not lend themselves to taking the wrong path but where there is major deviation from the
track you are on, it will be marked accordingly.
Event Safety Information
When you are in this environment YOU are the person primarily responsible for your own
safety. We will try to limit the event infrastructure so that it will not be too noticeable during
this event so you can enjoy the course with minimal interference. Please do not drop litter.
You will be a long way from home so you need to ensure that you:
• Carry the compulsory gear as per the race rules
• Ensure you have a well maintained bike
• Have trained sufficiently to ride the distance and stay focused on the hazards and your
own needs for food and water.
• Ensure you complete, on the entry form, any specific medical condition you have that
may affect your well being and or treatment.
• If you come across an accident, you must stop and give all reasonable care that you
can, while sending someone forward (not back) to the nearest Marshal for help. The
• Marshal will call in the situation to the Event Safety Manager so that we can get expert
help on the scene as soon as possible.
• We will have first aid trained Marshals situated throughout the course, in the tail-end-
Charlie vehicle and at the finish line.
Cancellation / Refunds
Cancellation and course alteration
In case of event cancellation visit our web site. www.nofussevents.co.uk
The alternate event day is the Sunday following the official race day.
An alternate course may be put in place by the Course Director in case of extreme weather
and this will involve a to and from course. The entry fee is non refundable, in ceratin circumsatnces we will be happy to transfer the