10 Under the Ben 2019
So what should riders expect? Firstly the clue is in the name, No Fuss, that's just what we do! From the course, you will find some fine climbs, some sweet singletrack, great gripping descents and a whole lot of fun. It's up to you, you can go as hard, or easy, as you like. The trail network at Nevis Range has been developed around the cross country world cup course which was originally built in 2007, since then there have been some great additions to the network. We are in no doubt that the course team will deliver another cracker of a course for 2019.
Sticking to the classic mountain bike endurance marathon format of a 10-mile lap and a 10-hour time limit, 10 Under the Ben takes place on the trails beneath Ben Nevis. 10 Under the Ben has stood the test of time and continues to attract an average of 700 riders. Racing in categories which include solos, pairs or quads.
ENTRIES ARE OPEN FOR 2019
The aim is to complete as many laps as you can in the 10 hour time limit. Teams ride in relay – there’s only one team member on the course at any one time. The event is timed using a Sportident Timing system, each team or solo will be issued with a timing card at registration, The card is worn by the team member on course. When a rider crosses the lap finish line their time is recorded, and they then pass the card onto the next team member and so on.
Riders can do as many laps (or as few) as they want in the time. After riders have passed through the timing area their lap time is recorded, they then pass the card onto another team mate or continue if riding solo.
There will be plenty going on around the course and event village, the course itself will have marshals at all strategic points, Muddy Medics will be on site and on the course if assistance is needed at any point.
The race starts at 0930 on Saturday 27th of April 2018. You must register beforehand (or the evening before) to collect your race number, timing chip and course information. Full details will be sent to entrants with participant notes in the lead up to the race.
Solo Entry £51.00
Pair Entry £90.00
Quad Entry £150.00
We often get asked What do I get for my entry fee?
Apart from all the boring stuff like VAT paid, relevant insurance, business administartion, payroll etc. You know the stuff that it takes to run a business in 2019.
You will get 10 hours of top riding with like-minded people doing something that we all love on some of the best trails that Scotland has to offer, trails that will hold out no matter what the weather.
Your race times will be recorded by Sportident Electronic timing and full results will be available throughout the race and full results will be online very soon after the finish.
Event village with great food and drink.
The best on course medics available.
On site and on course tech support.
Entertainment, "Music and Laughter with a hey hey we're the boys to entertain you" those of you of age may want to sing that wee line.
There will be parking gestapo working the main sites that we are using to help, please listen to them, they are going to get you all in! Please note there is ample parking for all participants, there is not ample space for every participant to park and have an easy up, bbq, toilet tent etc etc. We will do our best to accommodate all needs where possible. Parking for Caravans and larger motorhomes will be atNevis Range over spill car park. Please keep an eye on the website for updates around the start of April.
The event schedule is not quite complete, although here is a rough breakdown of how the day will work. We will keep you posted as the day builds.
FRIDAY 26TH APRIL
1800 - 2100 10 Under the Ben Registration at the Pine Martin Cafe at Nevis Range
SATURDAY 27th April – 10 UNDER THE BEN
0600 - 0830 Registration 10 Under the Ben
0845 Mandatory Team Captains meeting 10 Under the Ben
0930 Ten Under The Ben Race Start
All Day – Entertainment from TBA
1930 Last lap commence 10 Under the Ben
2030 Timing Closed
2100 Medal Ceremony 10 Under the Ben
2019 Course Map available April
This is a list of entries for this event. If you think you should be here and you are not then let us know.
Solo Entry1) - Dawn Anderson
2) Mikes Bikes Aviemore - Erin Wood
3) Susan - Susan Boe
4) What’s your Meta - Nienke Oostra
5) Comrie Croft Bikes - Emily Greaves
6) Ythan CC - Andrew Scouller
7) Don't Panic - Felix Maddison
8) Sologo - Trevor Macleod
9) Fuel Jockey - Stephen Lethardy
10) Cyclehighlands Scotland - Scott Sutherland-Thomson
11) BC CUBED - Neil Sandilands
12) Hors catégorie (HC) - Fraser Waters
13) The Flying Hackle - Oliver Lever
14) i-Cycles - Mike Hancock
15) Tiger - Brian Bathgate
16) The United - Ross Black
17) S.B.A. - James McNeilly
18) May the force be with you - Ross Anderson
19) Anthony Burns Solo - Anthony Burns
20) Snail Racer - Barry Kemp
21) Bawls oot - Keith Fawcett
22) Team big hands - Steven Riley
23) Greig Dawson - SS - Greig Dawson
24) Andrew Bell - Andy Bell
25) Graeme Duncan - Graeme Duncan
26) Kennoway RC - Robert Murray
27) Team Infinity - Des Haman
28) Age is no Barrier - Ian Prescott
29) EMK - Ewen Kelly
30) Burkey - Ian Burke
31) John Mellis - John Mellis
32) META Bike Divison - James Mccallum
33) norman agnew - Norman Agnew
34) Hong Kong phooey - Paul Stuart
35) What am I doing today? - Fraser Donaldson
36) Gordon Anderson - Gordon Anderson
37) Phil Bryan - Phil Bryan
38) Chris Gower - Chris Gower
39) Scott Menzies - Scott Menzies
40) long time comin - Anton Buter
41) The B.O.Double-B - Robert Drummond
42) andy davidson - andy Davidson
43) Biketreks - Jez Westgarth
44) Scott Sharman - Scott Sharman
45) GMBC Damn! That's a nice beard! - Luke Devereux
46) Darkside Riders - Hugh Dennis
47) Ginger power ish - Josh Williams
48) Jamie - Jamie Sharman
49) Green Machine - Wayne Green
50) Belvideros - Jim Blacklaws
51) Jordan Doig - Jordan Doig
52) TeamTom - Tom Macartney
53) Alistair Duthie - Alistair Duthie
54) Team Misery - William Hoynes
55) Team Misery - Gordon Stuart
56) Andy Forsyth (GMBC) - Andrew Forsyth
57) Singlespeed Simon - Simon Haslam
58) SCIDMARCC Solo - Ken Fowler
59) Nigel B - Nigel Brooks
60) Bryan Jardine - Bryan Jardine
61) Big in Oil - Russell Gourley
62) COG Velo/Basecamp Bikes - Kevin Henderson
63) Big John - John McAughtrie
64) Matt Smith - Matt Smith
65) Coupar Angus Cycling Hub - Michael Mauchline
66) #BeMoreBJ - Rob Smith
67) META Bike Division - Bill Young
68) WIlson Renwick - Wilson Renwick
69) RT23 - KYLE CARTMELL
70) This is going to - Adrian Baker
71) Medusa’s Stings - Jimmy Thomson
72) Medusa’s Sting - Alex Newhouse
73) Team Phenomenal 1/2 - Dougie Brown
74) Dave Lynch - Dave Lynch
75) welshystone - simon stone
76) Snails Pace - Johnny Chree
77) Just winging it - Duncan Cox
78) Redbay - Brendan McAuley
79) C.A.D - Scott Cameron
80) C.A.D - Shaun Stanworth
Pair Entry81) WG race team - Catherine MacFarlane
82) WG race team - Laura Murray
83) No Balls - Brydie (Alison) McLearnon
84) No Balls - Helen Gorman
85) RAF Cycling 2 - Louise Pearson
86) RAF Cycling 2 - Vicky Doherty
87) 2 Men and the Ben - Darren Bewick
88) 2 Men and the Ben - Jason Byles
89) Little and Large - Ewan Jones
90) Little and Large - Paul Jones
91) Twin don’t Peak too early - Brian Wann
92) Twin don’t Peak too early - Michael Wann
93) Mud Fuds Team 2 - neil Williamson
94) Mud Fuds Team 2 - Chris Williams
95) Chuck Norris's Commute - Iain Crouch
96) Chuck Norris's Commute - Keith Watson
97) Le Tour de Pants - Marek Danielewicz
98) Le Tour de Pants - Stephen Robertson
99) CDRA - Colin Gibb
100) CDRA - Shaun Rands
101) Butt Dove - Charles Vincent
102) Butt Dove - Howard Vincent
103) 3 is a crowd - Hamish Walker
104) 3 is a crowd - brian gibson
105) Old man Carleton's big day out - Alan Mcfadyen
106) Old man Carleton's big day out - Stuart Carleton
107) The Craven Cranks - Michael Potts
108) The Craven Cranks - Tom Lawrence
109) Team 2CR - Barry Clark
110) Team 2CR - Graham Clark
111) Plan Dee - Andy Bain
112) Plan Dee - David Hirst
113) mleh bird and hawtstuff2 - Roberta Walker
114) mleh bird and hawtstuff2 - Peter Devlin
115) Bike Buccaneers - Mark Bell
116) Bike Buccaneers - Scott Cameron
117) Doune Castle AFC - David Eccles
118) Doune Castle AFC - Iain Blackwood
119) The Mud Fuds - Ray Burr
120) The Mud Fuds - Roddy Reid
121) BJ's Pair of Fluffy Bunnies - Luke Bradley
122) BJ's Pair of Fluffy Bunnies - Jonathan Brook
123) BPEx 1 - Nick Whitehead
124) BPEx 1 - Dan Ryan
125) PEng = W/kg x Cake - Neil MacPherson
126) PEng = W/kg x Cake - Simon Harry
127) 10 More for BJ - Paul Carter
128) 10 More for BJ - Stewart Taylor
129) Two 4 Ten - Peter Martin
130) Two 4 Ten - Maurice McKeown
131) Bleezing Saddles - Dwayne Coutts
132) Bleezing Saddles - Dave Barclay
133) #TEAMJUSTFORTHEBANTER 1 - Barry Stewart
134) #TEAMJUSTFORTHEBANTER 1 - Danny Kennard
135) Bleeding saddles - John Florence
136) Bleeding saddles - Graeme Watson
137) Vets - James Martin
138) Vets - Iain Hay
139) Hoddit & Doddit - Kevin Key
140) Hoddit & Doddit - Mikie Palmer
141) reunited - colin johnstone
142) reunited - craig christie
143) Buzz & The Machine - Alasdair Collier
144) Buzz & The Machine - Jake Nicol
145) Sammy & The Water Boy - Samual Gardiner
146) Sammy & The Water Boy - James Gardiner
147) G&H - Hendry McNicol
148) G&H - Gavin Linfirld
149) The Mighty Fudhuggers - Rob Young
150) The Mighty Fudhuggers - Glen Comyns
151) RAF CA - Dan Watts
152) RAF CA - Martin Pearson
153) LETS do it .. - Michael Jullien
154) LETS do it .. - Roger Coulthard
155) Dolphin Chuckers - Chris Wilson
156) Dolphin Chuckers - Keith Wilson
157) Dolphin Chuckers - Chris Wilson
158) Dolphin Chuckers - Keith Wilson
159) Dutch and Ditch - Iain Baxter
160) Dutch and Ditch - Martijn Kaan
161) Bicycle2Bicycle - Mark Ellis
162) Bicycle2Bicycle - Jonny Mullan
163) Wheelie Forking Old - Dominic Townsend
164) Wheelie Forking Old - Steven Alexander
165) Puffers and Wheezers - jamie Gartside
166) Puffers and Wheezers - john clyde
167) RAFCA - Jon Vogel
168) RAFCA - Ashley Steventon
169) B.A.S.E (Beans And Sausage Expedition) - Doug Smart
170) B.A.S.E (Beans And Sausage Expedition) - Pete Halley
171) RAFCA One2One - Rob Scothern
172) RAFCA One2One - Marc Preece
173) Bimbling Buffoons - Mark Warters
174) Bimbling Buffoons - Rob Seall
175) FullGasORBEA - Enrique Castillo
176) FullGasORBEA - Camyla Sikora
177) OTB Guarantee - Sarah Healy
178) OTB Guarantee - David Turkington
179) Back on Bikes Beastin’ it for BJ... - Jo Cardwell
180) Back on Bikes Beastin’ it for BJ... - Callum Sword
181) Who’s got the baby? - Oliver Young
182) Who’s got the baby? - Katia Hiersemenzel
183) Happy birthday Fraser - Cheryl Walker
184) Happy birthday Fraser - Fraser Walker
185) Utah Saints - Helen Wall
186) Utah Saints - Stewart Irving
187) Belton Brace - Gavin Belton
188) Belton Brace - Anna Belton
189) Rubber Bumpers - Natalie Munro
190) Rubber Bumpers - Ross MacDonald
191) RAF Cycling 1 - Vicky Docharty
192) RAF Cycling 1 - Adrian Hoyle
193) Team Flo (IOM) - Emma Atkinson
194) Team Flo (IOM) - Mike Kelly
195) Squadra Porcini - Norman Gillan
196) Squadra Porcini - Esther Valencia
Quad Entry197) Bikey Wikey - Kate Abrahams
198) Bikey Wikey - Lizzie Whiteley
199) Bikey Wikey - Ruth McArthur
200) Bikey Wikey - Liz Delaney
201) Tree Hugging Hippies - Ceri Coull
202) Tree Hugging Hippies - Caroline Bates
203) Tree Hugging Hippies - Ria Tonks
204) Tree Hugging Hippies - Anna Dignan
205) The Wolf Mothers - Alice Murphy
206) The Wolf Mothers - Clare Bond
207) The Wolf Mothers - Kirsten Ellis
208) The Wolf Mothers - Shona Park
209) Tree Hugging Midge Munchers - Zoe Newson
210) Tree Hugging Midge Munchers - Jenny Ward
211) Tree Hugging Midge Munchers - Rachel Mckerral
212) Tree Hugging Midge Munchers - Katie Small
213) Bluewater Bruisers - Scott Philp
214) Bluewater Bruisers - Jack Vamplew
215) Bluewater Bruisers - Dennis van Kampen
216) Bluewater Bruisers - Brian Morren
217) Moar of BJ's Fluffy Bunnies - Nick Wallis
218) Moar of BJ's Fluffy Bunnies - Mark Adams
219) Moar of BJ's Fluffy Bunnies - Jake Adams
220) Moar of BJ's Fluffy Bunnies - Zach Adams
221) Bluewater Bouncers - Geoff Leech
222) Bluewater Bouncers - Martin Thom
223) Bluewater Bouncers - John Madden
224) Bluewater Bouncers - Tony Barker
225) Three + one - Neil Lawson
226) Three + one - Phil Galloway
227) Three + one - Scott Hardie
228) Three + one - Neil Horsburgh
229) #BeMoreBJ - Four Auld Masters - Daz Tindall
230) #BeMoreBJ - Four Auld Masters - Del Stansfield
231) #BeMoreBJ - Four Auld Masters - Neil Simpson
232) #BeMoreBJ - Four Auld Masters - Paul Whitham
233) Immortal 4 pies - DOUGLAS Campbell
234) Immortal 4 pies - Graham campbell
235) Immortal 4 pies - Peter Boyd
236) Immortal 4 pies - Aaron Fullarton
237) Never say Nevis Again - Allie Scott
238) Never say Nevis Again - John Scott
239) Never say Nevis Again - Carol Greig
240) Never say Nevis Again - Ken Grieg
241) Bluewater Brawn - Chris Shawcross
242) Bluewater Brawn - Lynn Morrison
243) Bluewater Brawn - Pieter Dofferhoff
244) Bluewater Brawn - Aaron Buchan
245) Bluewater Bairns - Olga Yudina
246) Bluewater Bairns - Chris Quin
247) Bluewater Bairns - Graham Ritchie
248) Bluewater Bairns - Glenn Firman
249) Lang Tooners - Samuel Haworth
250) Lang Tooners - Louise Haworth
251) Lang Tooners - John Richards
252) Lang Tooners - Paula Richards
253) Boom Shakalaka - David Grindle
254) Boom Shakalaka - Gavjn Grindle
255) Boom Shakalaka - Melville Berwick
256) Boom Shakalaka - Nicola Thomson-Berwick
Rules and Regulations
It is important that you and your teammates and support crew read these very carefully. Each lap is approximately 10 miles -under 1 hour for the fastest riders, nearly 2 hours for those who are new to the sport or are just that wee bit more careful. The courses will consist of a bit of everything, including wide single track, narrow single track with rocks, roots, mud, fast flowing single track, low gear uphill’s, water crossings, technical ascents and descents, plus fire roads. The event is for solo riders and for teams in a relay format.
1. Mandatory pre-event meeting at 0830 on Saturday for all team captains/team leaders, although all riders and crew are encouraged to attend. Teams must designate a captain/ team leader (this will be understood to be first name entered in team) to handle all official matters including pre event meeting, picking up registration packs, making sure all teammates have correct numbers and have completed any paperwork etc.
2. Each team and solo rider will bear responsibility for their timing. In order for laps to count riders must pass through the transition area and use the chips correctly every time a lap is completed.
3. Waiting riders should always check in with transition officials prior to starting their lap. Please adhere to the NO RIDE RULES in transition areas. Riders should only use solo riders area if they are in that class.
4. If a team member wishes to do two laps in a row it essential that they still ‘dib’ when passing through transition.
5. Each team member and solo rider must complete a minimum of one lap. Teams will be penalised a lap for each lap not completed by each member except in the case of any injury, which must be reported to race official who will make final decision.
6. If a team member cannot complete his or her lap, the team has the option of starting the lap over with a new rider. They will however, lose the distance and time of the uncompleted lap. The replacement rider must check in with timing official prior to starting the lap.
7. For obvious safety reasons there is no reverse riding on the course.
8. Teammates may cannibalise each other’s bikes or swap if necessary. Riders may accept mechanical support on the course by any other registered rider; transition and camp areas is the only area where assistance from support crews is acceptable.
9. Riders may accept food and water from anyone on the course.
10. We strongly suggest that each team and solo rider have a support crew of at least 1 or 2 persons who are not taking part to assist with various jobs such as organsing transitions, cooking and assisting with mechanical problems.
11. Bike wash areas will be available at each event. Toilets and showers will be available throughout the weekend. Please use the toilets provided.
12. If you are planning camping please be aware that there is limited space in the car park at Nevis Range. The ground is almost all hard standing and not easy to get pegs in. Space is allocated at a first come, first serve basis. Camping will also be available at Torlundy Farm, which is around 2 miles cycle on an old forestry access road (tarred).
13. You will need all your own camping supplies. A variety of food (hot and cold meals, soup and snacks) will be available for purchase at the transition area Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Check website for event specific updates.
14. Riders may require lights, which must be at least 4 watts and be secured to bikes or helmet. NO FUSS will have final say when lights should be used.
15. If lighting is required it will be against the rules for riders to ride with their lights out to save batteries. Riders violating this rule will have their current lap nullified.
16. Only riders officially entered in the event or designated as “Official Course Marshals” may ride the designated course.
17. Wearing a buckled helmet is mandatory anytime you are on your bike in the race area (not just when it is your lap).
18. All team captains and solo riders must attend pre-race meeting at 0830 on the Saturday
19. Ignorance of any rule will not be accepted as an excuse.
20. Foul riding will not be tolerated, unsportsmanlike behaviour is totally un-acceptable. This includes the use of profane or abusive language, this rule is taken very seriously by No Fuss and anyone who violates this rule shall be disqualified from this and any future No Fuss events.
21. Shortcutting the course can be grounds for automatic disqualification of the solo rider or the entire team. If a rider makes a mistake and they report to officials before it is discovered, a time adjustment will be applied rather than a DQ.
22. Riders who are riding their bikes have the right of way over those who are pushing their bikes. Where practical, riders pushing should stay on the least rideable portion of the trail when being passed. Riders are encouraged to call pleasantly “passing on the right or left” as appropriate.
23. All protests must be made by a team captain to a No Fuss Official ( Frazer or Spook . Protests can be made throughout the event and up to 15 mins after the final results are posted. It would be appreciated if any protests could be made respectfully to the officials. No Fuss officials say is final in all protests.
24. Safety on the course is our primary concern. If you come across an injured rider or a potentially unsafe situation, you are encouraged to stop and assist. If you stop to give assistance for a health and safety related reason, you should report your number to a passing rider who will turn it in to the transition official so that your team’s next rider may commence their lap. You must then complete your lap, report to the transition official and report the nature of the assistance you provided and an approximate duration of your stop. You will be assigned a lap time in accordance with your or your teams average times, whichever is the faster. NB Time adjustments are made by a No Fuss official and are final. NOTE This rule applies to ONLY health and safety concerns and not mechanical failure.
25. Dropping of Litter on the course will absolutely not be tolerated and may result in DQ. Leave only tyre tracks!
26. The NO FUSS OFFICIALS (FRAZER, SPOOK ) will be given the final decision regarding any occurrence at the event including those not addressed in the rules.