10 Under the Ben 2020
10 Under the Ben, we believe is Scotland's original and best mountain bike endurance event!
I am new 10 Under the ben what should I expect?
Firstly the clue is in the name, No Fuss, that's just what we do!
What about the course? You will find some fine climbs, some sweet singletrack, great gripping descents and a whole lot of fun. It's up to you, you can go as hard, or easy, as you like. The trail network at Nevis Range has been developed around the cross country world cup course which was originally built in 2007, since then there have been some great additions to the network. We are in no doubt that the course team will deliver another cracker of a course for 2020.
Sticking to the classic mountain bike endurance marathon format of an approx 10-mile lap and a 10-hour time limit, 10 Under the Ben takes place on the trails beneath Ben Nevis. 10 Under the Ben has stood the test of time and continues to attract an average of 700 riders. Racing in categories which include solos, pairs or quads.
ENTRIES ARE NOW OPEN FOR 2020
The aim is to complete as many laps as you can in the 10 hour time limit.
Teams ride in relay – there’s only one team member on the course at any one time. The event is timed using a Sportident Timing system, each team or solo will be issued with a timing card at registration, The card is worn by the team member on course. When a rider crosses the lap finish line their time is recorded, and they then pass the card onto the next team member and so on.
Riders can do as many laps (or as few) as they want in the time. After riders have passed through the timing area their lap time is recorded, they then pass the card onto another team mate or continue if riding solo.
There will be plenty going on around the course and event village, the course itself will have marshals at all strategic points, Muddy Medics will be on site and on the course if assistance is needed at any point.
The race starts at 0930 on Saturday 23rd of May 2020. You must register beforehand (or the evening before) to collect your race number, timing chip and course information.
Full details will be sent to entrants with participant notes in the lead up to the race.
Solo Entry £30.00
Pair Entry £60.00
Quad Entry £120.00
We often get asked What do I get for my entry fee?
Apart from all the boring stuff like VAT paid, relevant insurance, business administartion, payroll etc. You know the stuff that it takes to run a business in 2020.
You will get 10 hours of top riding with like-minded people doing something that we all love on some of the best trails that Scotland has to offer, trails that will hold out no matter what the weather.
Your race times will be recorded by Sportident Electronic timing and full results will be available throughout the race and full results will be online throughout the race.
Event village with great food and drink.
The best on course medics available.
On site and on course tech support.
Entertainment, "Music and Laughter with a hey hey we're the boys to entertain you" those of you of age may want to sing that wee line.
There will be parking gestapo working the main sites that we are using to help, please listen to them, they are going to get you all in! Please note there is ample parking for all participants, there is not ample space for every participant to park and have an easy up, bbq, toilet tent etc etc. We will do our best to accommodate all needs where possible. Parking for Caravans and larger motorhomes will be at Nevis Range over spill car park. There is plenty parking between Nevis Range and the overspill area, we are delighted to announce that parking for the event will FREE OF CHARGE for 2020.
As always the earlier you arrive the easier it is to assist you in finding the sweetest spot. If you are camping there are limited spaces around the car park. Please take all rubbish away with you at the end of the event, this will be very helpful.
The event schedule is not quite complete, although here is a rough breakdown of how the day will work. We will keep you posted as the day builds.
FRIDAY 22 May
1800 - 2100 10 Under the Ben Registration at the Pine Martin Cafe at Nevis Range
SATURDAY 23rd May – 10 UNDER THE BEN
0630 - 0830 Registration 10 Under the Ben
0845 Mandatory Team Captains meeting 10 Under the Ben
0930 Ten Under The Ben Race Start
1930 Last lap commence 10 Under the Ben
2030 Timing Closed
2100 Medal Ceremony 10 Under the Ben
This is a list of entries for this event. If you think you should be here and you are not then let us know.
Solo Male1) Fuel Jockey - Stephen Lethardy
2) A Fish supper will be earned - Neil Scott
3) Sandy Crew - Stuart Davidson
4) Team Lexi Sue - Mick Iveson
5) SQUAD - Matthew Cherrie
6) Bennachie Bike Bothy - Andrew Scouller
7) SQUAD - Chris Hutchison
8) Dirty Weekenders - David Gillon
9) Solus - Matt Cowan
10) Don't stop - Darren Dean
11) Don't Panic - Felix Maddison
12) Total Endurance Aberdeen - andy Davidson
13) McCardle - Brian McCardle
14) Nevis cycles race team - GARY MACDONALD
15) Mainer - Iain Main
16) SR Albannach - John Mackenzie
17) SR Albannach - Chris Barr
18) Richards cycles, chicken G Racing. - Jason Lindsay
19) Malc A - Malcolm Atkinson
20) Meta Bike Division - James Mccallum
21) Welsh Cake - Jason davies
22) Hard as concrete - Paul Fowler
23) Cotswold outdoor - Russ Walton
24) Phil Gray MukyRiderz - Phil Gray
25) Grumpy Chump - Stuart Burge
26) JC - Johnny Chree
27) Mukyz Marko - Mark Herd
28) Montrose Triathlon Club - Paul Kefford
29) Jim Sutherland - Jim Sutherland
30) Even slower than last year - James McNeilly
31) Fullsuss.com - Craig Duffy
32) I-cycles - Steven Deas
33) TMSCRC - Tomas Bolanos
34) MoFlow - Oliver Carter
35) Pee Stained Hobo - Steve Lambie
36) Lots of Fuss - Barrie Dallas
37) Rob Hinds - Rob Hinds
38) Dirty Wicker - Iain Nicolson
39) LRC Miler - Graham Dickie
40) Basecamp Bikes/Merida Bicycles U.K. - Kyle Beattie
41) The maddos - David Burns
42) AHC Powertools - Barry MacPherson
43) RG Autotech - Graeme Beveridge
44) Django - Michael Johnson
45) Resilience Scotland - ian cormack
46) Glasgow Mountain Bike Club - Scott Michie
47) James Gardiner - James Gardiner
48) Collier Garden Solutions - Alasdair Collier
49) Samual Gardiner - Samual Gardiner
50) Jake - Jake Nicol
51) Chris Gower - Chris Gower
52) Phil Bryan - Phil Bryan
53) Alweld24 - Allan Campbell
54) GalaCC - Julian Howell
55) DavidA - David Atkinson
56) Ambleside AC - Chris Robinson
57) 2 geeks, 3 peaks - craig mcgougan
58) 2 geeks, 3 peaks - william neilson
59) OARMAARM - Richard Lawley
60) A piece is a sandwich, ken? - Gary Thompson
61) Gio Tolhurst - Gordon Tolhurst
62) BigBadBadura RaceTeam - Rob Badura
63) BigBadBadura RaceTeam - Matt Badura
64) The Indian Fire Trail - San Kapil
65) Aboyne Newmads - Miles Newman
66) Mo - Morris Watters
67) It'll buff out! - Steven Wallace
68) Medusa’s Sting - Jimmy Thomson
69) Medusa’s Sting - Alex Newhouse
70) Oldgit - Paul Lawrence
71) GC - Graham Calder
72) Singlespeed Simon - Simon Haslam
73) Orange Fox Bikes - Sean Fillos-kelt
74) Shake n bake - Allan Tunnock
75) #TEAMJUSTFORTHEBANTER - Danny Kennard
76) WTF Again! - Alan Rodger
77) Heels Down - Ryan Smeaton
78) Age is no Barrier - Ian Prescott
79) Whoosh Brothers - Euan Bruce
80) Gunny - Chuck OConnell
81) Mark Adams - Mark Adams
82) long time comin - Anton Buter
83) RAFCA - Jon Vogel
84) Nethy Phat Boys - Martin Kubes
85) SR Albannach - Niall Shannon
86) Nethy phattys! - Thomas Ardern
87) The Hardrock Hoodlums - Neil(NitroNom) Glendinning
88) Hardrock Hoodlums - Raymond Miller
89) AYR BURNERS CYCLING - JP Baxter
90) Rab Thomson - Rab Thomson
91) Gordie Mackinnon - Gordon Mackinnon
92) Andy - Andy Hamilton
93) Hardrock Hoodlums - Andrew Webster
94) Team Ayr Burners - Ross McCulloch
95) BM - Barry Mcgovaney
96) Scot - Scot Colquhoun
97) AM WITH JACK - Alan Irvine
98) Billygoatracing - Craig Malcolmson
99) Forrest - Joe Forrest
100) Billy carnochan - Billy Carnochan
101) TAR-B - Daniel Baird
102) Fraser watters - Fraser watters
103) Winston Returns!😂 - Alan McKean
104) Minty Murray - Lee Murray
105) Craigokenn - Craig Kennedy
106) Hodgkinson racing team - George Hodgkinson
107) Velo Schils - Wilson Renwick
108) SMITHMTB - Steven Smith
109) Team Misery - William Hoynes
110) Hardrock Mutt - David Lees
111) Uibhisteach - Francis Walker
112) Cranky and Tyred - Bruce Souter
113) Team Motive - James Gregg
114) Alasdair - Alasdair Campbell
Solo Female115) Moragh Taylor - Moragh Taylor
116) Flying Squirrel - Sarah Tamm
117) Bennachie Bike Bothy - Erin Wood
118) Dirt Vixens - Claire McMullen
119) Cat(astrophe) - Cat Hirst
120) - Dawn Anderson
121) Cowal Mountain Bike Club Jeannie - Jean Mclennan
122) Puddle Duck - Riley Tamm
123) KL4 - Kirsty Lee
124) Solo Jo - Jo Cooke
125) Restless Natives - Paula Wilkie
126) Aboyne Newmads - Isabel Davies
127) Julie Elder - Julie Elder
128) Orange Fox Bikes - Lilly-Belle Fillos-kelt
129) LeslieBikeShopBikersBoutique - Gillian StewartPratt
130) All dream no team - Meg Spittal
131) Jojo has another go - jo cardwell
Pair Male132) Uphill Strugglers - Scott Cameron
133) Uphill Strugglers - Mark Bell
134) Full Shoe - David Macdonald
135) Full Shoe - Patrick MacInnes
136) Bleezing Saddles - Dave Barclay
137) Bleezing Saddles - Dwayne Coutts
138) The Man Who Wasn't There - Mark Stewart
139) The Man Who Wasn't There - Iain Donnachie
140) Jack n' Victor - Stuart Sutherland
141) Jack n' Victor - George Christie
142) SandysAndTheBanter - Zachariah Foster
143) SandysAndTheBanter - Euan Macalister
144) Boys Of The Dell - James Maclean
145) Boys Of The Dell - Scott Shiells
146) Stoorie Midori - Gregor Sutherland
147) Stoorie Midori - Alasdair McKinley
148) rideforclare - Vince Mackintosh
149) rideforclare - Campbell Mackintosh
150) Fats n small - David Shearer
151) Fats n small - Ryan Crichton
152) West lomond descenders - Callum Carmichael
153) West lomond descenders - Bob Cunningham
154) West lomond descenders - Scott Hardie
155) West lomond descenders - Paul McConville
156) West lomond descenders - Phil Galloway
157) West lomond descenders - Owen McConville
158) Hawdit & Dawdit - Iain Rivans
159) Hawdit & Dawdit - James McDade
160) Mud is dum backwards - Robbie Mackay
161) Mud is dum backwards - Richard Armstrong
162) The Indy Ref 2 - Graham Macnab
163) The Indy Ref 2 - Kenny McIntyre
164) Slow and steady - Alasdair Hynd
165) Slow and steady - Paul Kennedy
166) Pedal Power RT/Espresso Cycle Coaching - Alan Maxwell
167) Pedal Power RT/Espresso Cycle Coaching - Keith Greenwood
168) Discovery senior 1 - Niall Till
169) Discovery senior 1 - Billy Whyte
170) Where's Colin - Brian Morren
171) Where's Colin - Scott Philp
172) C-bike or E-bike? - Jack Vamplew
173) C-bike or E-bike? - Colin Ritchie
174) IFixCycles - Scott Davidson
175) IFixCycles - Andrew Christie
176) Hardies Bikes Melrose - Scott Ramsay
177) Hardies Bikes Melrose - Graham Forbes
178) Fat and crap checked shirts - Edward Hughes
179) Fat and crap checked shirts - Robert Mitchel
180) Aboyne Newmads - Kit Newman
181) Aboyne Newmads - Milo Newman
182) Team McCanwedothis? - Richard Bettinson
183) Team McCanwedothis? - Conor Mcgahon
184) Cheese & Wine - Chris Morrison
185) Cheese & Wine - Will Crawford
186) San Bros - Andrew San
187) San Bros - Alistair San
188) The Shy Teds - Paul Steadman
189) The Shy Teds - John Barron
190) 2 Phat 2 Phurious - Troy Wardrop
191) 2 Phat 2 Phurious - Ross Watson
192) Lazy and Phat - George Pritchard
193) Lazy and Phat - Phillip Hodgkiss
194) Spicy Bikers - David Sik
195) Spicy Bikers - Tom Jenkins
196) Tykes on bikes - Andy Hutchinson
197) Tykes on bikes - Ian Hay
198) Plan Dee - Andy Bain
199) Plan Dee - David Hirst
200) GCCCC Expendables - Stu Logan
201) GCCCC Expendables - Zeljko Patljak
202) Ollie Bollie Racing (Discovery JCC) - Pierre Bernard
203) Ollie Bollie Racing (Discovery JCC) - Oliver Bernard
204) Tyre’d Knobs - David Livesey
205) Tyre’d Knobs - Mike Burman
Pair Female206) The Original Ben Wyfies Cake Club - Deirdre Graham
207) The Original Ben Wyfies Cake Club - Karyn MacKenzie
208) TheCoolGals - Eliza Barrie
209) TheCoolGals - Amelia Shuttleworth
210) Not 10, 2 - Caroline McKaig
211) Not 10, 2 - Clare Taylor
212) Massive Attack Position (Dirt Vixens) - Jill Paterson
213) Massive Attack Position (Dirt Vixens) - Shaheen Salaripour
214) The Destroyers (Wallace Warriors) - Jess Barton
215) The Destroyers (Wallace Warriors) - Eva Mill
216) tea wee wummin - Joanne Baxter
217) tea wee wummin - Fiona Walker
218) Cowal Mountain Bike Club - Sara Cairns
219) Cowal Mountain Bike Club - Karen McIntosh
220) Queens of the Loamage (Dirt Vixens) - Rosie Fletcher
221) Queens of the Loamage (Dirt Vixens) - Kirstin Morrison
Pair Mix222) Discovery junior .1 - Lexa Whyte
223) Discovery junior .1 - Eric Till
224) I-Cycles - Martin aawalker
225) I-Cycles - Rachael McDougal
226) 2 Wheeler's - Stephen Wheeler
227) 2 Wheeler's - Christine Wheeler
228) The Harvey Dows - Caroline Harvey
229) The Harvey Dows - Alistair Dow
230) Team Fit Fifties Fun - Davie Robb
231) Team Fit Fifties Fun - Sharon Robb
232) I want to ride my bicycle. - Sian McCallum
233) I want to ride my bicycle. - Peter Willson
234) Ionagh’s cannon fodder - Ken Provan
235) Ionagh’s cannon fodder - Helen Wallace
236) BrokeBackBikers - Simon Hare
237) BrokeBackBikers - Rosa Hare
238) GCCCC Dragon Riders - Dora Aldridge
239) GCCCC Dragon Riders - Michael Aldridge
240) Hall and spokes - Matthew Girvan
241) Hall and spokes - Karen Fletcher
242) Do not resuscitate - Catriona Duncan
243) Do not resuscitate - James Steven
244) mleh bird and hawtstuff - Peter Devlin
245) mleh bird and hawtstuff - Roberta Walker
246) Chafing The Dream - Kathryn Heslop
247) Chafing The Dream - Dougie Langlands
248) cakeriders - Ian Goodman
249) cakeriders - Cathy Chapman
250) #bemorebj - Vicky Doherty
251) #bemorebj - Duncan Johnston
252) Overheard in St Andrews - Mari Cole
253) Overheard in St Andrews - Luke Bradley
254) Two 4 Ten - Benita Hensman-martin
255) Two 4 Ten - Maurice McKeown
Quad Male256) Team Carbonara - Colin Chisholm
257) Team Carbonara - Derek Eadie
258) Team Carbonara - Paul Martin
259) Team Carbonara - Simon Sheehan
Quad Female260) Tree Hugging Midge Munchers - Jenny Ward
261) Tree Hugging Midge Munchers - Katie Small
262) Tree Hugging Midge Munchers - Rachel Mckerral
263) Tree Hugging Midge Munchers - Zoe Newson
264) Notorious MTB (Dirt Vixens) - Blaze Sykes
265) Notorious MTB (Dirt Vixens) - Ann Miller
266) Notorious MTB (Dirt Vixens) - Lucy Dalton
267) Notorious MTB (Dirt Vixens) - Carol Robertson
Quad Mix268) Tree Hugging Midge Munchers Mixed Edition - Keith Melton
269) Tree Hugging Midge Munchers Mixed Edition - Bryan Johnson
270) Tree Hugging Midge Munchers Mixed Edition - Anna Marshall
271) Tree Hugging Midge Munchers Mixed Edition - Matt Allen
272) Never say Nevis Again - Allie Scott
273) Never say Nevis Again - Chris Ashmole
274) Never say Nevis Again - John Scott
275) Never say Nevis Again - Helen Ash
276) McAdams - Jamie McLaughlan
277) McAdams - Euan McLaughlan
278) McAdams - David Adams
279) McAdams - Katie Adams
E Bike280) Alistair Chappell - Alistair Chappell
281) David Dunlop - David Dunlop
282) Shaun Donovan - Shaun Donovan
283) TayMac - Andrew Taylor
284) Dryburghcycles - stephen payton
Rules and Regulations
It is important that you and your teammates and support crew read these very carefully. Each lap is approximately 10 miles -under 1 hour for the fastest riders, nearly 2 hours for those who are new to the sport or are just that wee bit more careful. The courses will consist of a bit of everything, including wide single track, narrow single track with rocks, roots, mud, fast flowing single track, low gear uphill’s, water crossings, technical ascents and descents, plus fire roads. The event is for solo riders and for teams in a relay format.
1. Mandatory pre-event meeting at 0830 on Saturday for all team captains/team leaders, although all riders and crew are encouraged to attend. Teams must designate a captain/ team leader (this will be understood to be first name entered in team) to handle all official matters including pre event meeting, picking up registration packs, making sure all teammates have correct numbers and have completed any paperwork etc.
2. Each team and solo rider will bear responsibility for their timing. In order for laps to count riders must pass through the transition area and use the chips correctly every time a lap is completed.
3. Waiting riders should always check in with transition officials prior to starting their lap. Please adhere to the NO RIDE RULES in transition areas. Riders should only use solo riders area if they are in that class.
4. If a team member wishes to do two laps in a row it essential that they still ‘dib’ when passing through transition.
5. Each team member and solo rider must complete a minimum of one lap. Teams will be penalised a lap for each lap not completed by each member except in the case of any injury, which must be reported to race official who will make final decision.
6. If a team member cannot complete his or her lap, the team has the option of starting the lap over with a new rider. They will however, lose the distance and time of the uncompleted lap. The replacement rider must check in with timing official prior to starting the lap.
7. For obvious safety reasons there is no reverse riding on the course.
8. Teammates may cannibalise each other’s bikes or swap if necessary. Riders may accept mechanical support on the course by any other registered rider; transition and camp areas is the only area where assistance from support crews is acceptable.
9. Riders may accept food and water from anyone on the course.
10. We strongly suggest that each team and solo rider have a support crew of at least 1 or 2 persons who are not taking part to assist with various jobs such as organsing transitions, cooking and assisting with mechanical problems.
11. Bike wash areas will be available at each event. Toilets and showers will be available throughout the weekend. Please use the toilets provided.
12. If you are planning camping please be aware that there is limited space in the car park at Nevis Range. The ground is almost all hard standing and not easy to get pegs in. Space is allocated at a first come, first serve basis. Camping will also be available at Torlundy Farm, which is around 2 miles cycle on an old forestry access road (tarred).
13. You will need all your own camping supplies. A variety of food (hot and cold meals, soup and snacks) will be available for purchase at the transition area Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Check website for event specific updates.
14. Riders may require lights, which must be at least 4 watts and be secured to bikes or helmet. NO FUSS will have final say when lights should be used.
15. If lighting is required it will be against the rules for riders to ride with their lights out to save batteries. Riders violating this rule will have their current lap nullified.
16. Only riders officially entered in the event or designated as “Official Course Marshals” may ride the designated course.
17. Wearing a buckled helmet is mandatory anytime you are on your bike in the race area (not just when it is your lap).
18. All team captains and solo riders must attend pre-race meeting at 0830 on the Saturday
19. Ignorance of any rule will not be accepted as an excuse.
20. Foul riding will not be tolerated, unsportsmanlike behaviour is totally un-acceptable. This includes the use of profane or abusive language, this rule is taken very seriously by No Fuss and anyone who violates this rule shall be disqualified from this and any future No Fuss events.
21. Shortcutting the course can be grounds for automatic disqualification of the solo rider or the entire team. If a rider makes a mistake and they report to officials before it is discovered, a time adjustment will be applied rather than a DQ.
22. Riders who are riding their bikes have the right of way over those who are pushing their bikes. Where practical, riders pushing should stay on the least rideable portion of the trail when being passed. Riders are encouraged to call pleasantly “passing on the right or left” as appropriate.
23. All protests must be made by a team captain to a No Fuss Official ( Frazer or Spook . Protests can be made throughout the event and up to 15 mins after the final results are posted. It would be appreciated if any protests could be made respectfully to the officials. No Fuss officials say is final in all protests.
24. Safety on the course is our primary concern. If you come across an injured rider or a potentially unsafe situation, you are encouraged to stop and assist. If you stop to give assistance for a health and safety related reason, you should report your number to a passing rider who will turn it in to the transition official so that your team’s next rider may commence their lap. You must then complete your lap, report to the transition official and report the nature of the assistance you provided and an approximate duration of your stop. You will be assigned a lap time in accordance with your or your teams average times, whichever is the faster. NB Time adjustments are made by a No Fuss official and are final. NOTE This rule applies to ONLY health and safety concerns and not mechanical failure.
25. Dropping of Litter on the course will absolutely not be tolerated and may result in DQ. Leave only tyre tracks!
26. The NO FUSS OFFICIALS (FRAZER, SPOOK ) will be given the final decision regarding any occurrence at the event including those not addressed in the rules.