Welcome to the No Fuss Ultimate MTB challenge for endurance athletes and people with a sense of adventure. Now a mainstay of the No Fuss calendar the Tour de Ben Nevis in 2018 stays true to its word of ‘bringing mountain biking back to the mountains.’ A 72km circumnavigation of Ben Nevis from Fort William, the Outdoor Capital of the UK. This is one of the country’s longest point-to-point events; an MTB endurance, enduro and mountain marathon event all rolled into one.
We must stress this is more of an event than a race. Those that are super fit and want to race hard will not be disappointed and the 4 special timed sections will spice it up a bit and really bring out the competitors from within however those who see this as a major personal challenge will be able to pace themselves and enjoy the adventure and wilderness of this remote area.
The course will not be littered with signage and support people, it will be left as untouched as possible to allow you to enjoy this environment in its natural state. With this comes some personal responsibility, which is a big part of the event ethos. We are taking the bubblewrapping away and letting you take on this event knowing that you will need motivation and tenacity to get to the finish line.
2018 will be the eigth year that we have run this event, those who rode in 2016 will remember the weather. In 2016 we were unable to safely manage the river crossing a Luibelt and the race format was changed to an out and back, we are delighted that in 2017 the route was managable in its entirity, although for many the river crossing was memorable.
For those of you thinking of entering the event for the first time you should read this blog we think it captures the enormity of the day!
Friday 21st September 6-9pm at a venue to be confirmed.
NB There is no official registration on the morning of the event, however, if you are unable to make it on the Friday evening, please contact us to let us know and we will have your race number and timing chip ready on Saturday morning. We would like to have everyone ready and good to go by 9.30am for a prompt 10am start. We will be at the start on Fort William High Street from 8am.**
At the registration you will receive:
• Race briefing, safety information and the latest course changes / information. This will include the special stage information.
• Your personal race number plate and zip ties to attach your number to your bike. The number must be attached securely to the front of your bike for the entire event. Do not alter or cut the number plate in any way.
• Timing chip – timing chips MUST be returned after the race. Please don’t forget as that little piece of plastic is very expensive to replace -there will be a £20 charge if the timing chip is not returned
This event takes place in one of the most scenic areas of Scotland and Fort William will hopefully provide you with everything and more that you will need for your stay. For accom information you could try www.outdoorcapital.co.uk
On Saturday morning, in the first instance please leave your car at your hotel/accommodation if possible (A few more kilometres won’t hurt, at least not in the morning!) Or if you have to drive, please park at one of the various car parks in town - The car park at Lochaber High School is the biggest free parking area and is close to the finish area. Showers will be available at the school after the race.
Fort William is located on the A82 approximately 100 miles north of Glasgow.
From the South
As you enter Fort William from the South, the West End car park is left off the first roundabout.
From the North
Continue on the A82 and along the town bypass to the West End roundabout.
SAFETY AND FIRST AID
First aid will be provided out on the course. Mucky Medics will be providing first aid cover throughout the course. There will also be a few safety knights on shining motorbikes.
Click Here for course details
This is a list of entries for this event. If you think you should be here and you are not then let us know.
Entry1) Tree Hugging Midgie Munchers - Zoe Newson
2) Team Breakpad - Liz Peacock
3) claire pearson - claire pearson
4) Over the hill - C jane Miller
5) Over the hill - Christina Hennessey
6) Team TwentyFour - Vanessa Hobday
7) Ivy Woods - Jacqueline Henderson
8) Layla - Layla Cartwright
9) Mudflaps - Louise Carey
10) Mudflaps - Carrie Anderton
11) 1868 Racing / Antur Stiniog - Eva McCartney
12) enthDegree - Helen Miskelly
13) Flow Riders - Natalie Murray
14) Flow Riders - Gillian McNeill
15) mleh bird and hawtstuff2 - Roberta Walker
16) Stu Cutler - stuart cutler
17) AyrshireMTB - Andrew Dodds
18) Mike Hancock - Mike Hancock
19) Ginger_Winger - Ewan Paterson
20) Racedate iOS App - Find your perfect race! - Tim Colebrooke
21) Yer maw's a dirty - Niall Pairman
22) Free pass! - Simon Sharp
23) Bull in the Heather - Angus Hamilton
24) john dixon - john dixon
25) Dirt School - Tom Nash
26) Purple Helmet Cycles - Graeme Duncan
27) Purple Helmet Cycles - Andy Bell
28) Cybertaff - Christopher Wakefield
29) Coxo - Graeme Lockie
30) DougTourinTheBen - Douglas Elliott
31) team vigilante - gary coltman
32) young4life - Jimmy Young
33) Team Breakpad - Mike Peacock
34) Maybe I like the misery - George Maitland
35) Highland Fencer - Johnny Maitland
36) Mukyriderz - Roy Cunningham
37) Mukyriderz - John Johnston
38) Meedies Bike Club - Lee Easton
39) Little of little n large - Mark Logan
40) Big Kev - Kevin Murray
41) Racedate iOS App - Stewart Campbell
42) Hadleys Hope - Steven Wallace
43) gravity-sports - Richard cowie
44) mark pearson - mark pearson
45) Stein Race Team - Paul Stein
46) Stravaiging - Callum Kellie
47) Rufus Lovegood - Gary Pollard
48) Bikey McBikeface - Christopher McGovern
49) The Pye Man - Duncan Pye
50) The Muppets - Brian Slawson
51) Friday Afternoon Naughty Boys Club - Mark Crane
52) Friday Afternoon Naughty Boys Club - Tim Harper
53) SWAK - Wayne Nakedman
54) I-Cycles - Keith Forsyth
55) Justin time - Justin Swabey
56) Pdiddymurphy - Gav Murphy
57) Duncan Clark - Duncan Clark
58) The Indian Fire Trail - San Kapil
59) Mozzamen - Andrew Hinchcliffe
60) Mozzamen - Callum Morrison
61) Mozzamen - Fraser Morrison
62) Stone-Baker - Aaron neave
63) Stone-Baker - David Sinclair
64) Uibhisteach - gerry wheeler
65) Spicy Bikers - Tom Jenkins
66) Stamford Squealers - Stephen Walker
67) Stamford Squealers - Sean Walker
68) Stamford Squealers - Gareth Powell
69) Stamford Squealers - Nathan White
70) Stamford Squealers - Tom Rudd
71) Stamford Squealers - Joe Mann
72) Stamford Squealers - Peter Etherington
73) Stamford Squealers - Aaron Lord
74) Team Fat Gypsy - Chris McCahill
75) Crazy Fool - Richard White
76) The Muppets - Karl Jones
77) Pigeon Pie - Peter Boyd
78) Road Kill - Dougie Campbell
79) Right Roond Ye This Time - Peter Cunningham
80) iPlod - Euain Drysdale
81) Ken and Andy - Ken Morris
82) Ken and Andy - Andy Morris
83) BaseCamp Bikes - Ronan Dugan
84) Team Wheat Bier - Nicholas Pacewicz
85) Ginga Wizard and his Wingman - matt mclatchie
86) Ginga Wizard and his Wingman - Allan Hunt
87) Spog - Laurence Phin
88) Team DNF - Billy Dowse
89) Team DNF - Kane Scott
90) Spog - Kenny Steele
91) enthDegree - Jon Entwistle
92) Just for the banter. - Danny Kennard
93) Just for the banter. - Steven Louis
94) Just for the banter. - Kevin McKenzie
95) Just for the banter. - Euan Macalister
96) Handlebar Coaching - Paul Bailey
97) NoBreakers - pete Breakwell
98) Team Focus - Ali Davidson
99) Team Focus - Johnny Croall
100) Team Focus - Chunky Dunbar
101) Team Focus - Richard Davidson
102) Team Focus - Paul Manson
103) Team Focus - Ryan Semmence
104) Team DNF - Jamie Kidd
105) Mo - maurice mckeown
106) Sasquatch Research Team - Michael Brown
107) Tree Hugging Midge Munchers - Jonny Henshall
108) Team DNF - Des Muir
109) theflyingpaddy - David Cashman
110) ¡¡¡BTR!!! Scuderia MTB (MMBC) - Colin McRae
111) HERBIE'S HILLBILIES.... - Roddy Weir
112) Green Machine - Garry O Connor
113) AH - Andrew Hutcheson
114) MTBJimbo - james johnston
115) none - Andrew Roberts
116) JJ - Jim Jack
117) Yarg Busters! - Mike Snook
118) Herdy crew 💪 - Dave Herd
119) Mick - Mick King
120) Flying Solo - Simon Atkinson
121) TEAM FOCUS - mark hornby
122) Rossatron Legacy - Ross Jackson
123) Team Ginge - Simon Bruce
124) 777 Racing - Alexander Roger
125) Gavin Black - Gavin Black
126) Team Focus - Romolo Bernardi
127) Team Focus - Donnie Macdonald
128) Are we there yet? - Colin Hutchison
129) Are we there yet? - Robin Silander
130) FullGasEnriqueCastillo - Enrique Castillo
131) BigBadBadura RaceTeam - Rob Badura
132) Saints Ciclista Wannabe - Daniel Clarke
133) Air mo rothair - Alan MacBeth
134) Moray MBC - John McMulkin
135) No More Excuses - david emery
136) Montrose Triathlon Club - Paul Kefford
137) The Angus Bike Chain - Andrew Kindness
138) Mike Milne - ABC - Mike Milne
139) I'm the Daddy - Mark Doyle
140) Team TwentyFour - Andrew MacGillivray
141) Canyin Bikes - Tyler Munro
142) Orange - Garry Pumfrey
143) Pee Stained Hobo - Steve Lambie
144) First Time Again - Richard Evans
145) Mike's Bikes - Murray Watson
146) TATT - Rab Hill
147) MTBeer Bottles! - David Harrison
148) MTBeer Bottles! - Andrew McGhie
149) scottoiler / alpine bikes trek store race team - Craig Hudson
150) Survival of the Thickest - Steve Banham
151) No holiday - graham forbes
152) Rae Gibson - Rae Gibson
153) Robert Allan - Robert Allan
154) Steven Richardson - Steven Richardson
155) Jason Mitchell - Jason Mitchell
156) David steel - David Steel
157) Mountain Destroying Monkey - Dave Jackson
158) Marin bikes - Chris Morrell
159) 1868 Racing / Antur Stiniog - Phil Roberts
160) Right place Wright time - Gregor Wright
161) Seanboy who - Sean Redahan
162) Nethy Phat boy - George Pritchard
163) NACC-ered - Dougie Muirhead
164) Hardies Bikes Melrose - Scott Ramsay
165) Chop - Graham Carter
166) SCOTT-Sports-UK - Josh Gibson
167) Friday Nighter - Jim McAra
168) neil scott - Neil Scott
169) Riders 59er's - Magnus Dowell
170) Earthworm Jim - James Higgins
171) Sbronzi of Riace - Frankie Polignano
172) Sbronzi of Riace - Simone Mocci
173) DNF - william muir
174) Too many Whisky Chasers - Martin Walker
175) ¡¡BTR!! - Sean Dugan
176) Tree Hugging Midgey Munchers - Simon Nadin
177) Frayed Notts - Ben Panter
178) NETCO - Tom Jenkins
179) Murray arms hotel - Nicholas Swanney
180) Alan Yardley - Alan Yardley
181) Team Phenomenal - Lawrence Webster
182) Moredun Trudgers - Bruce Reekie
183) El Poocho - Graham Davies
184) Midlothian Cycling Club - Brian Cotter
185) Team Phenomenal - Dougie bBrown
186) Graham Stickle - Graham Stickle
187) Fire road 5 - Mark Murray
188) Moredun Trudgers - Steve McManus
189) Spicy Bikers - David Sik
190) Moredun Trudgers - Mike San
191) Velo Club Moulin - John McCallum
192) Craig watt - Craig Watt
193) Spanner Racing - Davie Peacock
194) Zen Calvinism CC - John Appleton
195) Base Fitness Stirling - Ian Letton
196) Stirling Bike Doctor - Craig Letton
197) RS - rob shuker
198) Moreorless - Dougie More
199) Devinci / Freeborn - Dave Duggan
200) the dreams dream - Joel Nesbitt
201) Team Harris - Craig Cameron
202) Tanuki - Bob MacGregor
203) ICC - Ian Campbell
204) Scott Menzies - Scott Menzies
205) Coatbridge Clarion - Des Grant
206) Light House - Hans Krüger
207) Infinity Cycles - Simon Ayto
208) Angus Bike Chain - Shaleph ONeill
209) Edinburgh University CC - Stuart Gilfillan
210) Morenutzthanboltz - Andrew Richard
211) Morenutzthanboltz - Andrew Richard
212) Skye bike shack - Norman Macleod
213) Macaroni pie appreciation consortium - Huw Oliver
214) FCH racing - Jamie Gall
215) Morcambe Bay Watch - Matt Traynar
216) REB - Robert Bryson
217) mleh bird and hawtstuff1 - Peter Devlin
218) |Scottswahey - Gavin Mclean
219) DenUnderwood - Dennis Underwood
220) :) - Saunders Mackay
221) The Cool Guys - Ashley Payne
222) The Cool guys - Martin Gowans
223) Mikes Bikes Aviemore - mark Swinney
224) TeamBongo - steven murdoch
225) NACC-ered - Calum Muirhead
226) Unfinished Business - Christopher Perry
227) Logie B - Logan Barker
228) SWAK - Annemiek de Vries
229) T'N'T - Tarina Hays
230) T'N'T - Trevor McDonald
Read carefully: Non compliance with any of the Race Rules will result in
disqualification of the competitor from this event.
1. Approved cycle helmets must be worn at all times.
2. Road rules apply at all times, on all private or public roads during this event.
3. Riders must not ride more than two abreast on any Highway
4. Riders must ride in single file if impending vehicle traffic behind you.
5. Competitors must keep as far left as possible at all times, on all roads and tracks to
ensure sufficient and safe passing.
6. Competitors must not deviate from the obvious track or attempt to take shortcuts.
Drafting is permitted.
7. Any competitor withdrawing from the race must inform a Race Marshal at the first
possible opportunity after the decision to withdraw is made.
8. Competitors must know how to fix basic mechanical breakdowns (chain break and
repair flat tyres).
9. You are not permitted to alter or cut the event number plate in any way.
10. Event officials reserve the right to remove any competitor if they consider they are not
capable of safely completing the event.
11. Please do not leave any rubbish along the route. All food wrappers drink bottles, tubes
etc must be carried to the finish line and not discarded anywhere along the route
except at the Aid Stations.
12. Anyone seen discarding rubbish will be disqualified and will not receive a time or
position as applicable (take memories or photos but leave tyre marks only).
13. Participants must avoid stock if possible and all gates must be left as they are found.
14. No outside assistance is allowed by support crews to any competitor and no supporters
will be allowed to follow riders on the course.
15. Competitors must read the pre race course briefing notes supplied at registration.
16. Competitors must obey instructions from Marshals at all times. They are there for
everyone’s safety and enjoyment.
17. You are not allowed to swap bikes. You must finish on the bike you start on, unless you
have had a major breakdown and use a rescue bike from the tail end charlie vehicle.
18. To receive a position you must complete the entire course under you own steam.
19. Teams are not permitted to use any sort of towing device except for towing a team
member that has damaged their bike to the point that it cannot be self propelled.
20. For Team category all team members must cross the finish line together for the team
to qualify as having completed the challenge and for merit prizes if applicable.
21. The last team member across the line will be recorded as the team time.
22. Compulsory gear as per the list below must be carried or will result in disqualification.
23. Entries are not transferable. We need to know who is on the course and what medical
conditions you may have so we can deliver the appropriate response in the event of an
• 2 tubes or a puncture repair kit
• Tyre leavers
• Multi tool
• Chain breaker (learn how to use it please)
• Poly prop / Thermal layer top and bottoms
• Serious waterproof jacket
• First Aid kit (gauze squares, tape, an elastic crepe bandage, sunscreen, anti-chaff
cream, insect repellent).
• Whistle in case you go over a bank, break a leg and no one can see you.
• Survival blanket in case you are there for some time whistling.
• At least one water bottle and sufficient food to meet your individual energy needs
for 5-10 hours of riding.
NOTE: Please comply with the gear requirements. We take your personal safety seriously and
do not want to inconvenience you with gear and bike checks to ensure you have complied
with the race rules. Help us to help you.
Recommended Gear - For cold weather
•Poly prop / Thermal beanie
•Full finger gloves
To enjoy this event you need to be able to keep moving for about 5-10 hours. The fastest
time is expected to be around 4 Hours and up to 8 for those ones trying to get the most
value from their entry fee.
You don’t want to carry too much gear so consider carefully the clothing you need and your
The weather can change quickly from extremely hot to snowing in a matter of hours, so
study the weather forecasts and plan for the worst case scenario from that.
The water in the river crossings will also be drinkable
Food & Drink
Recommended for All Riders
Drink: There are numerous stream crossings that contain safe water.
Food: Please carry and consume enough to get you through the event.
Race start 10am.
For safety reasons we are unfortunately obliged to enforce a cut off times for this years event.
If you have not reached the top of the Mamore Descent by 1230 you will be short coursed along along the Landrover track to Mamore Lodge to continue with the event.
If you are not at the top of the Mamore Descent by 1330 you will told to return by the way you came.
If you haven’t reached the spean bridge end of the event by 1700 we will ask you to return with us in an event vehicle.
If you past these points before cut of time. We will wait for you to finish, so long as you are
making every effort to keep moving.
Route Markings / Hazards
There are numerous unmarked hazards on this course, as there should be with a wilderness
adventure of this nature. Potholes, rocks, stock, rutted tracks, steep descents, banks etc are
all part of what is required to be negotiated by the competitor.
Any hazards outside of those expected will be identified and marked accordingly to ensure
your safety. The Course Coordinator does not anticipate any such hazards requiring
The course will not be marked with directional arrows except at critical junctions. The tracks
do not lend themselves to taking the wrong path but where there is major deviation from the
track you are on, it will be marked accordingly.
Event Safety Information
When you are in this environment YOU are the person primarily responsible for your own
safety. We will try to limit the event infrastructure so that it will not be too noticeable during
this event so you can enjoy the course with minimal interference. Please do not drop litter.
You will be a long way from home so you need to ensure that you:
• Carry the compulsory gear as per the race rules
• Ensure you have a well maintained bike
• Have trained sufficiently to ride the distance and stay focused on the hazards and your
own needs for food and water.
• Ensure you complete, on the entry form, any specific medical condition you have that
may affect your well being and or treatment.
• If you come across an accident, you must stop and give all reasonable care that you
can, while sending someone forward (not back) to the nearest Marshal for help. The
• Marshal will call in the situation to the Event Safety Manager so that we can get expert
help on the scene as soon as possible.
• We will have first aid trained Marshals situated throughout the course, in the tail-end-
Charlie vehicle and at the finish line.
Cancellation / Refunds
Cancellation and course alteration
In case of event cancellation visit our web site. www.nofussevents.co.uk
The alternate event day is the Sunday following the official race day.
An alternate course may be put in place by the Course Director in case of extreme weather
and this will involve a to and from course. The entry fee is non refundable, in ceratin circumsatnces we will be happy to transfer the